newbie needs help

jeffkrieger

Seaman
Hi,
I just picked up a 1990 Wellcraft 192 Sport boat very cheap.Needs a motor.Had a Volvo AQ171 in it with a Volvo Penta sterndrive.Will anything else fit or do I need to replace with same?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: newbie needs help

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard, 'n Merry Christmas...

I don't do Volvos, so I'm abit handicapped on this 1... Donno what the 171 is...

That said,....
If that motor is anything But the Volvo overhead cam motor,...
It's nothing but a Chevy, marinized by Volvo...
or possibly a Ford, given the vintage...

captmello

Captain

AQ171 is a high output 4 cylinder Volvo twin OHC engine.

Not a lot of repower options. Whats wrong with the current engine?

Do you still have the original outdrive?

jeffkrieger

Seaman

Thanks for helping.Engine is missing all together.has a volvo sterndrive.

captmello

Captain

Thanks for helping.Engine is missing all together.has a volvo sterndrive.

If you could post a pic of what you have now it would really help. Depending on whats left, your options can change. Get a couple pics of the drivetrain. inside and out.

Welcome, btw.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aq 151 or aq 131 will fit right in. if you move the motor mounts up 2 inches and change the exhaust tube and change lower unit, you can put a v8 in. That is what I did.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

tried to load a picture but computer is #!%$#%^&&* up!Did you use a Volvo V8? What is the difficulty in changing lower unit.Never worked on a boat before.Thanks

captmello

Captain

tried to load a picture but computer is #!%$#%^&&* up!Did you use a Volvo V8? What is the difficulty in changing lower unit.Never worked on a boat before.Thanks

You can do anything you want with the right amount of money.

Get those pics up and we can go from there.

captmello

Captain

have a line on a 145.that work?

I think so. However you never posted a pic of what you have or don't have, so it's hard to say.

Does you boat have an exhaust pipe still installed? How about a tilt assembly and flywheel cover?

Make sure the replacement motor is complete with all the cooling system components etc. Buying a bunch of parts for an old Volvo penta motor can cost a lot. Can you confirm whether or not the engine has been in salt water?

jeffkrieger

Seaman

here is what i have.thanks

Attachments

• our fla. home 001.jpg
    our fla. home 001.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0

captmello

Captain

Ok! It looks like you've got everything but the motor. The AQ145 is an earlier version of the Volvo 4 cylinder engines. The AQ131,151,171 product line Came out a few years later.

I looked at the parts breakdown for the two motors and the flywheel cover, which is the large red part that bolts to the engine is a different part number as is the exhaust pipe. So I cannot say for sure whether they will connect together.

The difference may be the outdrive/transom shield are also a different generation. So I cant say for sure if the 145 will bolt up or not. Sorry.

Maybe someone else has done this swap and can tell you for sure.

Here is the parts breakdown for the 145.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Connecting-Components-Aq-Drive-Unit-280/dm/*******.093450754--**********.035157317--store_id.366--view_id.328479

Parts for the 171
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Connecting-Components-Aq-Drive-Unit-290-A/dm/*******.093450754--**********.035157317--store_id.366--view_id.323861

I did notice that the aq151, does use the same flywheel cover as the 145...
And then there is still the issue of the exhaust pipe.:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 145 will work as far as bolting to the flywheel cover and the exhaust tube. But you will be getting 30 hp less with the 145 which could be a real problem on your 19' boat.

jeffkrieger

Seaman

thanks for all the help.you guys are terrific!!!!!!I think will wait for a 171 to turn up.I will put this with the street rod project,the jaguar project,the motorcycle project,and the house project.some day they will all be finished and i'll be bored!

jeffkrieger

Seaman

well I stumbled upon not 1 but 2 aq171 motors.1 just rebuilt and the other one in good running con dition.I have some work to do before motor gets put in.anything I need to know about installation of motor?any help greatly appriciated.thanks.

captmello

Captain

Before installing the motor, I would suggest replacing the intermediate bearing and seals in the flywheel housing.

You'd need parts 82,86,83 in the link below.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Connecting-Components-Aq-Drive-Unit-290-A/dm/*******.604846435--**********.937207744--store_id.366--view_id.323861

To install the new bearing, first remove the upper gear box of the outdrive.
See this thread for upper removal.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?
t=309095

Next you remove the six bolts securing the lock ring and the flywheel housing to the transom shield.
# 70 in this link
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Connecting-Components-Aq-Drive-Unit-290-A/dm/*******.604846435--**********.937207744--store_id.366--view_id.323861

Now you can remove the flywheel cover and proceed in replacing the bearing and seals.

Once the flywheel housing is finished, mount it to the motor and install the whole assembly in the boat.

That a quick description on the procedure. Most of us have changed those bearings and doing now with the motor out is the right time to do it.

Congrats on finding the new motors. I would suggest starting a new thread if you'd like help with the bearing replacement.

Good luck!!!

jeffkrieger

Seaman

thanks for the suggestion.i will do that.without this forum i never would have known to change the seals and bearing.:).thanks again!

jeffkrieger

Seaman

ok.I was in boat today taking up carpet and thought of another question.If you lookat the picture in previous post,the bell housing is still there.Does this just slide in to the u-joint?Will the big o-ring hold it in place?Any help appriciated.

captmello

Captain

The ujoint should be removed at the time of install, but yes, the drive shaft in the center of the flywheel cover goes into the ujoint yoke.

Part of the maintenance on your outdrive is to remove the upper gear box periodically to check the ujoints and to change the ujoint bellows. When you remove the upper gear box, the ujoints come out with it.