Newbie Needs Floor Replacement Advice

TheMayor

Cadet
I just bought a 16' open bow ski boat with an outboard and a trailer from a charity place. I've already gotten some great advice about testing out the Evinrude 115 HP from another thread on iboats but I need some advice about the floor (my first project boat). We've taken out all the interior to recover but there is nothing on the floor accept the fiberglass that's part of the boat body and it feels like it would be to weak if you just left if alone. There are no holes in the floor however which is good news. There is one small piece of plywood underneath and in front of where the driver's seat used to be. I am assuming it is marine plywood - looks like it's about a 1/4 inch thick to me. Is that what I should go back with? Or is there a better material now? If plywood is the way to go what kind of places would sell it (ie. home center, lumber yard, or boat sales place), what thickness is best, and how is the best way to put it down - glue, screws, or otherwise? If there is another material, what is it, where would I get it, how does it install, and what is the approximate cost? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie Needs Floor Replacement Advice

I recommend that you do a search for 'floors' in the project boat section. There are too many variables to list in one post. Your search results will undoubtedly return lots of pictures to help get you pointed in the right direction. Once you get a general idea of what you need to do, then ask specific questions.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It would not surprise me if the wood under the fiberglass shell is rotted, as well as stringers and even transom. The good news is it isn't as bad as it sounds to fix, the bad news is it still isn't all that fun either. The only way you will know whats going on underneath is to cut a hole large enough to look. You can always cover it with an inspection plate if all is well, but if you are experiencing noticeable flex in the floor, it is damaged. Good luck, others should answer as well....

doman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey<br />there are different materials than plywood ..depends how much money you wanna spend on this project i think playwood is the cheapset route ...but make sure your floor and stringers are ok ...also 1/4 ply is to thin for the floor in my opinion go with 1/2 at least if it comes down to replacing ..also dont put wood on top of the old floor its going to work but not for long ..if its rotten take old floor out unless u wanna do it again in a year or 2 <br /><br />hope this helps a little<br /><br />Dom

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1/2" is the way to go with a floor, sounds like you have a rebuild on your hands, not bad though, like in a previous post cut a hole and look at it also check the transom, that 115 will take it off if its rotton, as long as the hull is in good shape you can rebuild it. By the way welcome to the forum and let us know what you find, do not put wood over the floor to run it if the stringers are gone you are looking for a disaster let alone losing the motor and sinking the boat. Not much fun bobbing around in the lake :eek:

TheMayor

Cadet

I appreciate all the input on this project! I can tell there is a wealth of knowledge available on this site and I really want to take full advantage of it. As on post suggested I have reviewed many different threads on "floor" and in most cases they all seem to deal with completely rebuilding the floor. As a result, I would like a little clarification on a couple of the comments made above and maybe clarify what I see as well. From what I can tell there doesn't appear to be any damage to the transom or the stringers. When you walk on the bare fiberglass floor inside the boat all the stringers feel strong under foot. The only slight weakness or give you feel is if you step on the fiberglass between the stringers. I would assume this to be normal when you put 200+ pounds of weight on the unsupported fiberglass. There are no cracks or sign of wear anywhere in the fiberglass that I can see anywhere in the boat. Is there something else I need to look for? Should I still drill out a hole to check the transom and stringers? I simply thought I should but down some sturdy surface like marine plywood to protect the fiberglass between the stringers and to give a good surface to put down carpet. But if there's more to check I definately want to do that before I move forward. I'll be awaiting further comment and appreciate everyone's input!!! Thanks again!

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what brand boat you have but all i have seen the floor is hard even in the open spots and i weigh 225 even if you stomp it dosn't hardly budge but it is up to you weather to rebuild or add more weight to the boat in plywood over the old floor just keep a eye out for flex in the hull and transom, the best place to check the transom is at the bottom if it's dry and hard be sure to fill the hole.