Newbie LU question

Scott2020

Cadet
I'm new to a used 2013 90HP four stroke. I removed the lower today. Before removing it, I shifted to F so Id be able to turn the the prop a bit to align the drive shaft when reinstalling it. I expected the prop to smoothly turn the drive shaft, but it didn't. The prop turned clockwise with a springy resistance, then no-resistance, then resistance, etc. Is this normal? If not, what's happened? BTW, I was able to get the LU reinstalled.

flashback

Captain
Most likely you were feeling resistance from the raw water impeller. That said may I ask why you pulled the LU.

Scott2020

Cadet
That makes sense. I pulled the LU to grease the drive and shift splines. They were dry as I expected. 250 hours on it. Good idea or no? My back votes No.

flashback

Captain
Assume the impeller is 10 years old, it needs replacement.. I can relate to your back saying no...

Scott2020

Cadet
Assume the impeller is 10 years old, it needs replacement.. I can relate to your back saying no...
The impeller was just replaced by the marina before I bought the boat. Unfortunately he didn't lube the splines. Go figure. Maybe the new impeller is the reason for the springyness - nice and rubbery.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just curious......how is it that you decided to grease the splines, how did you know that they weren't greased, and yet how did you know that the splines would disassemble easier later on if greased?

Scott2020

Cadet
Just curious......how is it that you decided to grease the splines, how did you know that they weren't greased, and yet how did you know that the splines would disassemble easier later on if greased?
I first removed the prop, and the splines looked like they hadn't been greased in a while. I figured if an easy maintenance task like this hadn't been done recently, the shift and drive splines probably needed some attention. I had no issues with the disassembly, so even being bone dry didn't seem to matter. The issue I often have is that if the re-install of the LU doesn't go well and I have to pull it and try again, I've messed up my nice lube job and have to re-lube the splines.