Newbie here!

theviking64

Seaman
Hey all. This is my newly acquired 79 Starcraft Super Sport. My Dad bought it new in 1979 so I have had some great times in it. It hasnt been on the water since 2008, and then 5 years prior to that. I just started on it today, cleaning and such. Has new carpet and flooring, had all the rivets checked and repaired. I have to pull the fuel tank and clean it out, then work on the motor a bit. Hopefully will be on the lake in 2-3 weeks. Not bad for 32 years old. Any other info or advice from you guys will be appriciated.

2011-07-04_12-36-39_332.jpg

2011-07-04_12-36-49_393.jpg

2011-07-04_12-36-25_829.jpg

2011-07-04_12-37-24_662.jpg

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Newbie here!

Every thing looks and is origional , even the motor Great combo. Get a spray can of Evenrude carb cleaner follow instructions and you should be good to go. Even seats and carpet look new. Hay all in the family is a neat way to go. Enjoy, and take your Dad out a time or two.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful boat! That's gotta be a rocket with that 150 on it.

theviking64

Seaman

Thanks for the info. It is all pretty much original. I'm sure I will be asking more questions before this is completed. I can wait to post some pics of it in the water. As far as the engine goes, My Dad bought the boat new with that motor. A few months later the dealer contacted him and said he needed to bring the boat in and they would install a smaller motor on it for free because that outboard was found to be too much for the transom. We beefed up the transom and have had no problem at all.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

That's really a nice looking old boat. May not take 2 to 3 weeks. Put some sea foam in the gas, and spray some in the carb with it running either does a good job of cleaning a carb. Hows the decking, any soft spots, from sitting, or was it garaged the whole time. Welcome aboard.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 75 Holiday 22 ft with the same engine except mine is a 200 Johnson You better hold on when you power up. But then you should know that by now. Love those big V Starcrafts.

theviking64

Seaman

It has the same prop (as far as size and pitch) as it had when it was new. Not sure what it is, i forgot to look. But what if I want more top end. I won't be towing skiers or anything, I just want top speed. The prop that is on it now works great, except when you dump the throttle, the whole boat rares up out of the water to the point I cant see until it planes. Any ideas?

theviking64

Seaman

That's really a nice looking old boat. May not take 2 to 3 weeks. Put some sea foam in the gas, and spray some in the carb with it running either does a good job of cleaning a carb. Hows the decking, any soft spots, from sitting, or was it garaged the whole time. Welcome aboard.

It was stored with a cover and was under a huge carport. Rain or sun has never touched it

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What a super nice rig! Man I love those seats, they look like LayZBoy's in there. That OB is sweet!!!

Welcome:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My 18' SS is rated for 150 so I would not be concerned running that motor. Not sure what that dealer was talking about. Are you trimmed all the way down (in) when you accelerate? That boat should pop out of the hole so quickly that bow rise shouldn't be much of an issue. If it still is, you might want to look into trim tabs.

theviking64

Seaman

My 18' SS is rated for 150 so I would not be concerned running that motor. Not sure what that dealer was talking about. Are you trimmed all the way down (in) when you accelerate? That boat should pop out of the hole so quickly that bow rise shouldn't be much of an issue. If it still is, you might want to look into trim tabs.

All I remember is people saying that when I would dump the throttle from a dead stop, everything but the lower end of the motor was in the air.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice SS, looks great for being a '79:D

Have you tried trimming the motor in to keep the bow down, then trim it out once you are planed out?

theviking64

Seaman

Nice SS, looks great for being a '79:D

Have you tried trimming the motor in to keep the bow down, then trim it out once you are planed out?

Yeah, that helps some. I think having the power prop is alot of the reason. Since I won't be pulling any skiers or wakeboarders I don't really need it. Thats why I'm looking at getting a speed prop. Worst case if someone wants to ski, I can change it back.

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nice looking boat, i bet half of us wished our boats looked that good when we got'em

theviking64

Seaman

Had to take the fuel tank out yesterday, NASTY! Fuel was varnish bad! At the radiator shop getting boiled out. Also, waiting on my new water pump kit to get here! C'mon UPS! Still need to clean the carbs and lube stuff. Hopefully next weekend I can fire it up!

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yeah..that's a Bighoss kinda' rig right there. Lazyboy folding seats....big honk'n engine. Nice!

theviking64

Seaman

Ok, worked on the boat this weekend. Filled the tilt/trim with new hydraulic fluid (works awesome now), replaced all the fuel lines, changed the gear oil in the lower unit, checked and repaired all the electrical accessories, lights, air horns, stereo, etc. Picking up the Fuel tank today from getting boiled out. The last step is the most nerve racking, the water pump kit. Something about this shift rod thing is making me nervous. The plan is to have this done this week, fire it up at home, then take it to the lake on Saturday for a test run. (Fingers crossed)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The shift rod is a b&%ch. I was able to do the one on my '73 85 and my slightly less than mechanically inclined than me buddy was able to do his on his '91 90, but the one on my '81 90 was way buried under lots of important looking wires and hoses and I had no desire to break anything so I hired it out.

theviking64

Seaman

I hope I don't have to do that, but it is buried down under the carbs. I may have to take those off to get to it. :mad: