newbie help

Andy's97

Recruit
i have a 1985 hydra sport bass boat with a 150 johnso, it's pretty rough and i would like to attempt to restore it. The motor has had some problems i believe i need a new powerpack. A far as the hull goes it's pretty sounds no significant stress cracking but the paint and finish is shot. As a do it yourselfer what prep and paint do you guys recommend. Also is there any place that sells the compartment doors or am i stuck building new ones? thanks for the help.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: newbie help

If you had some pictures it would definitely help give us a better idea on how to direct you. Are the deck and transom solid? if not then there is a lot of work to be done before painting it.

As far as prepping and paint go, a lot of sanding and I actually have used a epoxy based garage floor paint with good results. I am on season 2 with one of my boats using that, and have had 0 flakes and chips in it. I have also used a 2 part epoxy based paint from the marine shop with good results as well.

Welcome to Iboats, there is a lot of information on here and lots of good people to help you every step of the way.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Andy's97,
First, Welcome to iboats.
As previously stated pictures would help you get help.
As for the paint, You can read several threads that have all the information you need, From re-gel coating to painting. Several other threads cover restoring the current gel coat. You really have a lot of different options.
For painting I recommend ezombees, archbuilder and for new gel coat,
SKIBUM1M, and the world famous hull extension by opp's.
Good luck and welcome.
Bob

Andy's97

Recruit

thanks for the support.i am lengthening the deck with wood but everything else seems to be solid all the carpet is out but it does need a lot of sanding i will try and get some pics up soon. the boat has been sitting for about two years since it has been used.Itleft me stranded in the middle of the lake one night and i gave up on her, then came a baby and a wife so there goes the cash flo but it's time to fish. it's a decent boat and i got it free from an old boss so might as well work on it before it rotts away.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

You should make an additional post in the evinrude/johnson outboard section http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24 to address the motor.

Your boat portion will be a piece of cake to do but, (isn't there always a but? ;)) please take time to read through the restoration section. Read up on things like soaked flotation, stringers and transom issues.

The pretty painting portion is really the icing on the cake once you are all done. Our main concern is to do it right the first time. Sadly....... :( there are some restorations that are going on that are in my book are totally wrong. We really want your boat to last and be safe for the duration.

Is the motor mounted? With the motor tilted all the way up place pressure on the prop and see if your transom flexes? Lift and push up and down for this.

You might even consider some test holes from the inside to hunt down rot in the boat....... test the flotation too.

Congratulations on the baby and we know that baby is going fishing :) so, we want it ALL to be safe!