Newbie boating questions... Is this a good first boat?

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice
New to boating. Looking for a family boat for the lake and river. Its just my wife and baby. I will wakeboard and fish a little... She just enjoys the sun.

We've been looking at this boat, a 94 donzi medallion 212:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/3010771929.html

It's got about 500hrs, the engine is very clean and sounded great on muffs. Gears sounded good as well.

The owner wants 7 and not willing to go lower, nada is around 6200. Sounds like he overpaid and thinks because it only has 500hrs that it drives the price above nada.

I like that it's an all fiberglass boat. My concerns are that he recently threw away the cover and Bimini because they needed replacing. So I would need to but those. Also, is this price too high?

We've considered ski boats or sea rays in the same age range, the ski boats are around the same price but not as roomy. The sea rays seem about 1/2 the price.

Appreciate any thoughts. We do really like the boat, just would like it to be about $6k instead.

Philster

Captain
Re: Newbie boating questions... Is this a good first boat?

It's a nice package if it is mechanically sound and if the wood components/structure that hold the boat together are not rotting away.

Only an inspection can tell. Older bow riders are prone to rot. If the owner kept it covered, it can last a long, long time.

Are you saying this boat is 100% wood-free construction? I don't know enough about that era of Donzi boats to know. Most boats have wood somewhere, such as the transom and stringers/bulkheads (the meat and bones of the structure).

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

Yes it's a wood free boat. no wood in the structure, it's reinforced fiberglass and foam, if I understand correctly . If you google the model it explains it more. The only wood is the dash.

Philster

Captain

Wood free plus Donzi (premium brand, especially when cared for) = premium price

Hours on an engine means someone used the boat. It's better than neglect.

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NADA is not the best tool when it comes to purchasing a boat, or anything for that matter. Its useful in putting you somewhere in the ball park of where the price should be, but I wish NADA would say $6,200 +/- $2,000. It comes down to what a willing buyer would pay, and what a willing seller would sell for. There is always some risk that comes with every purchase, so there is no sure thing.

Some things you also need to consider, is how much into wakeboarding are you? Are you going to need to buy a wakeboard tower later down the road to satisfy your wakeboarding? How much are you into fishing? Are you going to want to make any adjustments to the boat? i.e. trolling motor? Some people would puke at the thought of turning a Donzi into a fishing machine.

I know also you are new to boating, and there is one thing I wish all new boaters would consider. How much are you going to use the boat? My brother goes out about once a month in the summer, so maybe 3-4 times in the summer. At his local lake, he could rent a boat to use all day for $250 plus gas. Lets just say $350 per trip * 4 trips = $1400 per year. He currently pays about $350 per month on his payment, another $20-25 (guessing) for insurance. He had to get a bigger truck for his boat, and now has more expensive cost of gasoline for everyday use of his vehicle. You can see the point. Boat ownership is not for everyone.

It really comes down to how much you want to shell out. If you budget is 6k, let him know you only have 6k, and its a take it or leave it situation. Don't let emotions get too involved.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

NADA is not the best tool when it comes to purchasing a boat, or anything for that matter. Its useful in putting you somewhere in the ball park of where the price should be, but I wish NADA would say $6,200 +/- $2,000.

Agreed. Around here it's +$2000 at least for well kept boats. $800 above NADA on a premium brand, I would find the xtra $1k. Not really meant for fishing, but doable on occasion.....

hostage

Lieutenant

The boat from the pictures, the boat looks like it is in really good condition. A couple years ago I was looking at 18-19fts w/ 4.3L merc for about $4-5k. For a boat in that condition (which is better from the photos), size 21ft, and powerplant would be around that price. With NADA the price can be everywhere so it isn't that great of source when it comes to buying and selling boats. The only downside is it doesn't come with a cover. If I was going to buy it, I would buy a cover ASAP. Also you can purchase a bimini and poles for around $300 off iboats.

-Hostage

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all... The boat Is probably avg on the exterior... Interior is nice shape. There's some fading on the exterior but I think will buff well.

The interior and side panels all pull off easy for storage or for fishing. Won't be going in the ocean... Just the delta and lakes. Nothing too hardcore.

I appreciate all the feedback. I take it the Donzis are nice. Does anyone else have feedback on this model?

Philster

Captain

Donzis are a premium brand. The model looks to have a good V and the engine/drive combo is time tested. Just have it checked out by a qualified person that you hire. It will be worth it.

If the boat has ever been used in salt, the exhaust system must be considered. Exhaust systems carry cooling water and exhaust it with exhaust gases. If the boat saw salt water use, it can shorten the exhaust system life to 3-5 years. A leaking exhaust system on a boat can cost you the complete destruction of your engine. The combined value of the engine and exhaust are well over $5000.

Yeah... put Donzi on the premium list. The owners, when they purchased it, likely has cash to maintain it. They paid a ton more for that boat than they could have for another generic bow rider. They had the means to buy A Donzi.

Now, just ask casually and get the answer about salt water use. If it was run in salt, I would need to see proof of age of the exhaust, and if that could not be provided, tuck away 2000+ bucks for a new exhaust system w/ labor and some other misc crap that it will need. It will need something.

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

I got the boat after a water trial and having it looked over by a good shop.

Does anyone have a good lead on an owners manual?

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I will be on here often!

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about Donzi, but most owners manuals for a specific boat are not worth much. They are pretty generic and tell basic stuff like how to put on a life jacket and navigation rules.

The OEM manuals for the motor and electronics are way more useful.

Now, how about some pics? :)

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got the boat after a water trial and having it looked over by a good shop.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I will be on here often!

Post some pics!

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

Donzi.jpg

Here's one... More to follow. Took it out a couple times and it's great!

Now I'm going to take it in to have the drive serviced so I have a good starting foundation.

I'm trying to replace the garboard drain/plug, but having a hard time finding on that fits what what on there. The ones that are readily available seem just too small and the holes will not line up with the ones from the old one on the boat. Does anyone have any ideas how to find other than standard sized garboard plugs? I will try to post measurements of the holes on the boat.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

For extra credit. Do you know how the name "Donzi" was invented?

Anger65

Seaman Apprentice

"Donsy, baby"... After Don aronow.