Newbie alert. Tilt/trim question Help!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My 70 HP 1976 Johnson was a bear to pull up. After a year or so, I added an aftermarket power trim unit. Since then EVERY outboard I ever bought came from the factory with power trim.

If my 70 was a bear, I can only imagine how tough it would be to try to tilt an 85.

I don't think you have a problem, per se'. Just eat more wheaties and pull harder.

airshot

Rear Admiral
My 70 HP 1976 Johnson was a bear to pull up. After a year or so, I added an aftermarket power trim unit. Since then EVERY outboard I ever bought came from the factory with power trim.

If my 70 was a bear, I can only imagine how tough it would be to try to tilt an 85.

I don't think you have a problem, per se'. Just eat more wheaties and pull harder.
Your cylinder or valve might be at fault. Those cylinders do bleed down and the valves do go bad....while mine was not easy, I could do it with one hand while the other operated the tilt lever

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
I had a 79 Johnson 70 hp and it also had the shocks, not power trim or tilt. On that motor the shock assisted on lowering and raising the motor to the travel position. There was a small lever that had a position for up and a position for lower. When lowering the motor, I flipped the lever to lower and pushed the cover to the rear and the motor would just fall back under control so it didnt slame down on the transom. When tilting it up, it made the lift much easier by flipping that lever to the up position. I can only assume that lever changed the flow of oil in that cylinder as an assist. Never had an issue with it, so never got into how it worked....
Thank you
I think my shocks are out of hydraulic fluid
I don’t see a lever to flip but I can look harder

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice

Did you use cmc?

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
I feel your pain, mine did NOT come with any tilt other than arm power (this is an '87 Force 85hp) so I looked around on the Interwebs and bought a CMC unit that was non-functional and also bought a new pump assembly. Now I have tilt and trim at the touch of a button and added another switch on the outside of the transom to operate it from the ground