Newb Questions

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi.

I am slowly rebuilding a 1976 Glastron v162...I just found a 1976 Mercury 115 HP for sale locally.

My questions:

1. How do I measure to find if I need a 20" or a 25" shaft? (and how do I measure the outboard to find out which it has? - just in case - the seller is unsure)

2. It being a 30 year old motor, what do you think a good price range would be for it? Seller says 125 compression across all cylinders...if that is true and everything else it "flawless"...what would be a good "Best Offer"? I noticed (on eBay) everything from $300 to $1500 for "simular" motors.

3. Being new to OBs, what else should I look for?

Thanks.

-JMW

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newb Questions

a 30 year old motor in good shape can be better than a 2 year old in bad shape. nada, prices a very low. check the condition of the wiring, and wiring harness, it's getting to the age, that they will need to be changed do to dry rot of the insulation, and changing the rubber fuel hoses. i bought a '71 1350, changed out the wiring, and it was like new. also you have to learn how to start an inline 6, they are gas hungry, on a cold start. you will think you are flooding it, but thats, almost impossible when cold.

JustMrWill

Thanks for the replies.

Any help on measuring shaft? Is it the hight of the transom (ie...I have a 20" transom so I need a 20" shaft?)

And when you measure the OB...where do you measure...prop to just under powerhead?

Thanks again.

-JMW

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When you measure the engine, measure from the AV plate (the flat plate just above the prop, to the transom bracket where it would sit on the transom. You more than likely need a 20-inch motor. When installed, the AV plate should sit flush with or slightly above the keel.

JustMrWill

Thanks....with the difference between shaft lengths being only 5"...it would be real easy to mis-measure and get the wrong one. :)

-JMW