Newb in boat restoring. Help with water tank please?

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Hi folks. New to this forum. Been not actually restoring but, trying to get a boat that has been sitting for what i have been told was 2-3 years seaworthy. I did a compression test on the cylinders before buying and have the engines running (after being drydocked in my yard for 2 and a half more years). I am now onto the amneties of this planter. The boat is a 1983 26ft Tiara continental with a cuddy cabin. It has a pump out head with a shower and a small galley with a faucet. From crawling around in the bilge i noticed it has a small water heater in it that looks like a house water heater and its all rusted out. This boat also has a shore power hookup. I dont have the owners manual and have never owned a boat before. My question is does the head pump work off of the water heater pressure or just your hand pumping from the water holding tank. Would like to know if i have to spring for the 700$ marine water heater before i take the women out, our can they foul up my bathroom with the hand pump.

Thank you for your help.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Newb in boat restoring. Help with water tank please?

I would imagine there is a water pump somewhere on the boat that generates water pressure (usually similar to the ones you find in R.Vs).They are usually located just off the holding tank.

Water heaters as a rule do not generate water pressure for the sinks and showers .

The hand pump from the head usually pulls water from outside the boat but not always.

I wouldnt worry about replacing the heater if your just using the head ,but if it leaks your going to want to remove it and cap off the lines to it.