New York Times smears Houston, TX

txswinner

Banned
Re: New York Times smears Houston, TX

You say derogatory, I do not find opportunistic and profit, and strong position and good infrastructure to be derogatory. It shows a great State with the backbone to be the best even in the worst of times. We are all about underdogs, pulling up by the boots, and helping out those who are down.<br /><br />What they said is ok with us. We're Texas.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am danged sick and tired of the firestorm of finger pointing, name calling, accusations and other political hay-making over this historic tragedy.<br /><br />That goes for the right and the left.<br /><br />"It's all their fault". . ."Yabut they were getting shot at". . ."Greedy, evil conservatives". . . "Stupid criminal liberals" . . . "GW didn't pray in time." . . ."Hilary didn't pray at all."<br /><br />Some stuff went right, some went wrong. Some people behaved stupidly, some behaved heroicly. Many are still behaving heroicly while the rest point fingers and issue blame.<br /><br />Texas and Texicans are near the front rank of those behaving heroicly.<br /><br />NOBODY knows the whole story yet, so NOBODY can issue a responsible verdict. <br /><br />Please stop trying. I am saturated with it.

txswinner

Banned

Darn JB spoken like a true Texan, from the le rig, heck no from Texas!

LadyFish

Admiral

NYT is a rag not worth reading for most of us conservatives.<br /><br />We know what we're doing down here in Texas and YES at much of our own expense and risk.<br /><br />Its true that many of the resouces used to help Katrina victims will not be available for those of us on Galveston Island if we should, God forbid, suffer a storm like this one. I guess we'll have to figure out a back up plan. I'm sure we'll do the right thing when the time comes. Our City Emergency and Disaster Recovery Plan is a good one and Texans will have a plan in place for temporarily housing those who need it.<br /><br />As far as repairing refineries or oil wells in the gulf and using the Port of Galveston or Port of Houston............. DUH!!!!!!!<br /><br />The New Orleans port the 3rd largest in the U.S. has over 1,000 ships waiting up the Mississippi to bring goods to the gulf. The port has basically been inoperable. They just now cleared a path through the channel so these ships can get through to the Gulf. They are going to need alternative ports and Galveston and Houston are the closest.<br /><br />Its not about making money its about saving this counry's *** in a time of need. Sheesh!!!!!<br /><br />Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We know in our hearts that its necessary to extend a helping hand because one day it may be us in need. Anyone who says or thinks differently can kiss my everlovin grits. :mad:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

:confused: :confused: :confused: <br /><br />what I miss? you been bad-mouthing Texas, Ralph? must have gone right over my head.

LadyFish

Admiral

No, the NYT and half the liberal media seem to think we are only helping for monetary gain.
32.gif
<br /><br />It makes me crazy when I hear untruths. :rolleyes:

Ralph 123

Captain

Thanks JT and LF - I thought I was either losing my mind or ability to effectively communicate :) <br /><br />I got POd when I read that cheap-shot by the NYT when Texas was doing more for these people and the country than all the other States combined and debated about even sharing it here with all the great Texan iBoaters... I kinda wish I let you all hear about it another way...

LadyFish

Admiral

I know that this time of year is generally slow for the media, lucky for them a disaster hit.<br /><br />All the negativity and spin they conjure up and report as 'news' is ridiculous. This is a time when all Americans are doing their damndest to provide comfort and healing for these poor people. Its not just Texas, everyone is lending a helping hand, we just seem to be doing the most right now. Instead of a thanks we get slandered. Idiots.<br /><br />Can't they read the sign "DONT MESS WITH TEXAS". I can't wait until somebody from here calls them out on it. Those are fightin words 'round here.
2.gif
<br /><br />I guess the NYT would rather print crap and get sued for it than print the truth. They have no credibility with me whatsoever.

txswinner

Banned

Please do not buy in fish and jtexas, this was attempt to start a troll that the NYT was attacking us for taking an opportunity to help the economy. The NYT was not knocking Texas, libs or conservatives just making an observation.<br /><br />I am sick and tired of people trying to tell me what an article says. We can read and understand ourselves and do not need some guy from Boas town to tell us what an article means as an attempt to get us to fall for a liberal/conservative arguement.<br /><br />Yes we dregged the port, yes we welcome the ships, yes we will handle the petro, yes we will make money, yes we will help those down, yes we will provide jobs and a new frontier for many. And most of all we will be stronger for it. The NYT article says this, so why do we need to name call them or us. Texas are both Libs and Conserv. and all in between and neither sometimes as well, but now is not the time or place for Boston to throw crap at us.<br /><br />We are Texans and yes JB Texicans as well.

Ralph 123

Captain

This sentence is not knocking Texas?<br /><br />"No one would accuse this city of being timid in the scramble to profit from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina." <br /><br />Usually, when someone says you are profiting from a disaster, it's a knock. However, maybe you see it differently. Evidently, the NYT was concerned enough about the interpretation to leave it out of the US edition...

LadyFish

Admiral

It was printed in the Paris edition. Its also not the first time I've heard it.<br /><br />I don't 'buy into' things or let people do my thinking. It takes a lot to get me angry but the NYT seems to get me riled up quite often.<br /><br />People are not putting a liberal/conservative or black/white spin on this tragedy, the media is and I don't much like it.<br /><br />If Texas profits in any way, its a good thing. We're gonna need it after opening up our pocketbooks. It wasn't the intention of Texans but if it happens sobeit.

txswinner

Banned

I give we are a bunch of left wing profiteers eager to attack the weak while supporting the homeless in a conservative like big business way while trying to overtake the world just like our Rep. President did to Iraq, and when La. is a free country we will give it back so the Liberal/Conservative Rep. Sen. Breaux and Conservative Dem. Gov. what you ma call er can take by the land we bought from the Indians and we shall build idols to Lewis and Clark. Sure glad i get post count for this.<br /><br />It is ok, leave it to us down here, even with gov. goodhair we will succeed.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sorry txs just didn't read it that way...and besides which anyway, what do I care what New York says to France?<br /><br />and besides which anyway, what they got to complain about if some jobs are created and some profits made. Are we taking in thousands of people who need jobs? yes. Are we price-gouging anybody? no. <br /><br />And, where do the profits go anyway? <br />*some goes to federal income tax, they complaining about that? <br />*some goes to reinvestment in the company, meaning purchase of property & equipment, they complaining about that? <br />*the rest goes to (drum roll please) Wall Street! where is wall street? you got it, The Big Apple! If they want to complain about that, let 'em donate it for disaster relief!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It reads like, "Evil, greedy Texas conservatives" to me, Ralph, and it is a load of (BAD word).<br /><br />I am proud of what Texas is doing, and proud to be a Texican.

txswinner

Banned

If you look for an arguement it is not hard to find. Try looking at things with a positive eye. It will be ok.

txswinner

Banned

Remember David Crockett and Jim Bowie were tree hugging liberals in their day and they were ok.

oddjob

Commander

TXS, I'm glad this big tragedy has got your spirits up.....Soon as your done kissing yourself , I'd like to say thanks to Texans...oh and you (TXS) too I suppose. :rolleyes:

txswinner

Banned

Hey watch it oddjob, kiss may make us ***** and outta the conservative club you go (lmao). On the spirits, we have no choice here, all the hurt is taken up by the evacuees. It really does feel good to help them.