New York Times smears Houston, TX

Ralph 123

Captain
I know this is going to PO you Texans but you should know what the Liberal Media is doing to your state who has done so much to help in this crisis:<br /><br />New York Times smears Houston<br />September 7th, 2005<br /><br /><br />The New York Times Company is facing an abyss, and seems to be doing its best to hurtle faster into the realm of public scorn and business disaster. For a company whose most valuable asset is its prestige as a news source, the now-frequent willing publication of distortions and outright lies makes no business sense. Marquee names Paul Krugman, Jayson Blair, Alessandra Stanley, Maureen Dowd, Bob Herbert, and especially hereditary publisher and ex-Sixties radical Pinch Sulzberger are emerging as cartoon figures in the public eye, driven mad with their hatred of conservatives and President Bush.<br /><br />Today, a different kind of line was crossed. The Times has messed with Texas. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t spit in the wind, and most of all you don’t mess with Texas if you have even a shred of common sense.<br /><br />KTRK-TV, the ABC affiliate in Houston has caught the New York Times Company slurring Houston’s rescue efforts in a sneaky yet stupid maneuver. How do like this for the first sentence in a story about Houston’s sheltering efforts on behalf of the evacuees, by Houston-based NYT reporter Simon Romero?:<br /><br />“No one would accuse this city of being timid in the scramble to profit from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina."<br /><br />Excuse me? The City of Houston has thrown open its heart, pocketbook, homes, churches, schools, and all public facilities to its neighbors in need. The Astrodome was prudently stocked with disaster supplies because nearby Galveston might need them in the event of a big hurricane. Without a thought, Houston stepped up and became evacuation central. It will cost Houston taxpayers a lot of money, but nobody is giving a thought. <br /><br />And you paint this city as a crass profiteer on its neighbor’s misery. That is beyond despicable. It is crazy.<br /><br />These offensive words did not appear in the above-the-fold story printed in America. But Romero’s story was printed with these words as the lead in its Paris edition, quaintly still known as the International Herald-Tribune, even though it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the New York Times Company, and is in effect the European edition of its flagship paper.<br /><br />So the New York Times Company has an editorial policy of pandering to the sneering European image of Houston and Texas, while bowdlerizing the domestic editions of the patently offensive language. Apparently the theory is that nobody in Houston has a computer, and that all those passengers on the Air France and Continental jumbo jets coming in from Charles De Gaulle Airport to Bush Intercontinental every day won’t bring a copy home with them.<br /><br />Bad bet, Pinch. They have a pretty sophisticated city, take it from me.<br /><br />I know that you can’t bear to hear it, but Houston is on the rise, and has been for a century. No other American city (except those other Texans in Dallas-Ft. Worth) can hold a candle to it in growth, real world importance, and contributions to our (gasp!) culture. Without the continuous pushing of the frontiers of oil exploration technology (mostly done in Houston), the world would almost grind to a halt. Without the space exploration effort managed from Houston, your worldwide publishing empire would not be able to coordinate its operations. Without Houston-pioneered medical innovation, you might not be alive today.<br /><br />Houston is the example New Orleans should have learned from decades ago. While New Orleans and its insular elite made it difficult for outsiders to gain social acceptance, its banks focused on local established borrowers, and its government proved more interested in squeezing taxes out of companies than encouraging their growth, Houston established itself as the headquarters of the world oil industry. There were plenty of reasons to have expected New Orleans to claim that crown.<br /><br />My guess is that tens of thousands of Louisianans, forced to leave their beloved New Orleans, will settle down in Houston. They will find jobs, housing, and a vital community which welcomes newcomers. In no time there will be many new New Orleans-style restaurants enhancing Houston’s formidable culinary scene. New jazz clubs will join then honky-tonks, the Houston Grand Opera, and many other musical adornments of Houston’s civic culture.<br /><br />They will augment the large numbers of Mexicans, Central and South Americans, Chinese, Indians, Europeans, and other immigrant groups, now populating and enriching Houston. There are even many people from New York City, and they have brought their own exotic cuisine. <br /><br />That’s the way it works with dynamic cities. They grow, thrive, and attract talented and energetic newcomers, who keep the virtuous cycle going. Houston is spiraling upward. It will only get more important in the ranks of world cities.<br /><br />Houstonians are a proud lot, but they are not indifferent to slander. I don’t think they will forget, Pinch. You can write off any circulation growth for your national edition in the nation’s seventh or eighth largest market.<br /><br />Thomas Lifson is the editor and publisher of The American Thinker.<br /><br /> http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=4800

oddjob

Commander
Re: New York Times smears Houston, TX

Excuse me? The City of Houston has thrown open its heart, pocketbook, homes, churches, schools, and all public facilities to its neighbors in need. The Astrodome was prudently stocked with disaster supplies because nearby Galveston might need them in the event of a big hurricane. Without a thought, Houston stepped up and became evacuation central. It will cost Houston taxpayers a lot of money, but nobody is giving a thought. <br /><br />And you paint this city as a crass profiteer on its neighbor’s misery. That is beyond despicable. It is crazy.<br />
Silly Liberals......

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We dont blame New Yorkers, we just blame the media.<br /><br />They would write any story they can dream up as long as they think it sells.<br /><br />Ken

txswinner

Banned

Read the whole article. Not about liberal or conservative. It is about standing up after you are knocked down. This is what I would call a reverse troll.<br /><br />Texas will work through this and just watch us make a positive out of a negative.

txswinner

Banned

That is why we are proud to call ourselves Texans!!

Ralph 123

Captain

Ya right reverse troll. <br /><br />“No one would accuse this city of being timid in the scramble to profit from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina."<br /><br />I guess you like being called a misery profiteer by the NYT.<br /><br />This article exposes the smear and defends Texas - it's not the NYT article.<br /><br />You really need to spend a second and read other's posts before you put your fingers on the keyboard

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I perused the NYT archives of Romero and I found no such article. All articles I found were complimentary of Houston. Could you get more info on the article?<br /><br />I did find one by him that was talking about how Halliburton and Baker Hughes are two of many Houston based oil service companies racing to get in on all the business Katrina created. Maybe that's what the radio station heard.

Ralph 123

Captain

KTRK-TV, the ABC affiliate in Houston has caught the New York Times Company slurring Houston’s rescue efforts in a sneaky yet stupid maneuver.....These offensive words did not appear in the above-the-fold story printed in America. But Romero’s story was printed with these words as the lead in its Paris edition, quaintly still known as the International Herald-Tribune, even though it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the New York Times Company, and is in effect the European edition of its flagship paper.<br />

oddjob

Commander

My comment is based on the fact that liberals will take a gift and then say its not enough and bash the givers as racist, mean and selfish.....bla,bla........etc.<br /><br />The Times is going bonkers like alot of libs lately...they cannot believe that nobody is buying their blame game so they are beside themselves. <br /><br />Since they cant lay sensible blame on Bush...they have to release their hate on someone....and GW is from Texas......so,..lookout its all your fault!..lolol<br /> :D <br /> <br /><br />Bush and Katrina are Racist? this is way over the top.

Ralph 123

Captain

This is from KTRK-TV, the ABC affiliate in Houston (ABC13 Eyewitness News)<br /><br /> http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/weather/090605_katrina_nytimes.html <br /><br />
In the Times, there's an above-the-fold article by Houston-based reporter Simon Romero. And apparently what's in the Times is not all the news that's fit to print. <br /><br />In The International Herald Tribune published by the Times in Paris, Romero's article is on page 15 and it begins with a line not in the Times, which reads "No one would accuse this city of being timid in the scramble to profit from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina." <br /><br />It later contends, "A surge of business activity in Houston might lift the fortune of a city that is still struggling to recover from the collapse of Enron and two decades of job cuts in the energy industry." <br /><br />

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I found it. Here's the first 2 paragraphs of that atricle:<br />"Perhaps no city in the United States is in a better spot than Houston to turn Hurricane Katrina's tragedy into opportunity. And certainly no one would accuse this city of being timid in the scramble to profit from the storm's aftermath.<br /> <br />Oil services companies based here are already racing to carry out repairs to damaged offshore platforms in the Gulf of Mexico, and the promise of plenty of work sent shares in two large companies, Halliburton and Baker Hughes, soaring to record levels last week. The Port of Houston is preparing for an increase in traffic as shippers divert cargo away from the damaged ports of Pascagoula, Mississippi, and New Orleans. "

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

No one has "stepped up to the plate" more than Texas and Texans in this human tragedy. If somehow in the future, after much additional investment, the Texas oil industry benefits from hurricane Katrina, mostly due to infrastructure and geographic location, good for them.<br /><br />Dave..

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Funny, I just can't seem to get all worked up over what New York says about us to France.

txswinner

Banned

Like I said we are making a positive out of a negative. Yes we will benefit, yes we will be there to pick up others, yes there will be jobs. I take the article as a compliment. <br /><br />If any negativity it is Halliburton and Baker Hughes to largely Rep. based companies. They will take advantage but will also supply work for the new Texans.<br /><br />As the bumper sticker reads "Not Texas born, but got here as quick as I could." Damn it is fun being a Texan.<br /><br />So find another subject, Don't mess with Texas, Ralph.

Ralph 123

Captain

Winner, I am trying to show you how your beloved liberal NYT is trying to make you all look like misery profiteers in the eyes of the world. If you can't see that I can't help you.<br /><br />Channel 13 in Houston who uncovered the story doesn't like how Houston is being portrayed...<br /><br /> I find it pretty despicable that they would smear you overseas but not have the guts to do it to your face in the US edition.

txswinner

Banned

No you and Channel 13 are trying to use our actions as an affront to the NYT and liberalism and other arenas. We are not buying it.<br /><br />I read the article and what has been written here. It simple supports the opportunistic actions of our state in helping others and making us stronger.<br /><br />Look for someone else to use to support your unsupportable need to make a political attack.<br /><br />In Texas we might tell you to grow some "huevos." It is really good to be a Texan right now! The doves are flying, the deer are healthy, and the fishin is picking up as well. And one more time Ralph, DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

Ralph 123

Captain

You mean don't mess with your brainwashed view of the world or call attention to your unwillingness or inability to read...

txswinner

Banned

Now we see the true light, a name caller, wishing to promote an agenda that is unworthy of our time. When you deal with Texas you need to know a few things. First we are smarter than you folks might think. We can read. Texans wear cowboy boots and hats even if we do not live on a ranch. We argue, fight, pick on each other about which teams are best, lie about fishin', saw the biggest deer, and generally try to live up to all you might have heard about us.<br /><br />And you need to remember that when things get toughest we are like a big big family and outsiders can not attack us or draw us into some crap that is not on the up and up.<br /><br />Name calling is ok, heck I would probably do it too if I lived in MA instead of TEXAS.

Ralph 123

Captain

First, I have consistently praised the efforts of Texas. You can read the posts for yourself.<br /><br />Second, If sharing a derogatory comment made about Texas by the NYT to it's overseas readers is somehow "messing with Texas" then so be it.<br /><br />I find what the NYT did despicable. For you to somehow translate that into my attacking Texas is beyond my ability to understand...

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

now now now txs......not everyone can be as fortunate as you and I for living in TEXAS! TEXANS will always be TEXANS.....and our motto...THE FRIENDLY STATE is for a reason. You're seeing it every day now on the news. Look what our state has done in the last week. Bash us if you may, but you can't knock us down.<br /><br />We're rushing to the oil fields, refineries, dredging the port....why...Yeah...don't you want the economy to get back on it's feet. Who else has the knowledge and the skills to get these back going. W/out the port, supplies halt. Supplies halt, prices go up....so yes there may be people in a hurry, but it's to keep things moving.