New Yamaha ar240 or new cobalt 220?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The Yamaha will have a LOT more interior room, most particularly in the bow area. The Cobalt will show a higher level of build quality and use nicer materials throughout. The newer 24 foot Yamahas are much, much quieter than the 2014 and earlier models. We have a 2011 SX210, which has been flawless...but it's certainly not a Cobalt (or a current generation 240, for that matter). Even so, it is very easy and inexpensive to own and maintain, extremely maneuverable, performs well, has been flawlessly reliable and has lots of space for its size. If you want any additional perspective on the Yamaha boats, even though mine is a different generation and model, I'd be happy to provide more.

In post #15, the OP said they went with the Cobalt.

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to everyone for responding, now we just need spring to come to start boating season

I feel your pain. I bought a new to me boat two weeks before Christmas and it is absolutely KILLING me to not be able to put it on the water. And since I'm in Missouri and the boat was already winterized when I picked it up, I wasn't even able to water test it. I was able to do everything but water test it so I know how good it runs hooked up to a hose, I can't wait to experience it in the water.

I told one of my friends the other day to imagine how her six year old boy would be if she were to buy him a new Xbox, show it to him... and then put it away in a closet somewhere and not let him use it for five months. That's where I'm at right now but probably even worse.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Tlombard, did they re-winterize your engine after running it on the hose?

Last edited:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Definitely. I may not be the brightest bulb and am bound to do something stupid at any moment but I made sure of that. The guy even took videos when he winterized it again for me. I wish I still had the video. I switched phones a week or two later and didn't copy it over. At least if I had the video, I could hear my baby running again. Instead I have to wait a few more months.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Didn't mean to imply anything, it's hard to know how much knowledge other posters have, and it wouldn't be the first time someone didn't think to have the boat re-winterized. Glad you're covered!

I know what you mean about being impatient. I bought my boat in January or February and had to wait months to get it in the water. It was torture!

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack Scubadon's thread... I bet he's impatient for warm weather, too!

Scubadon

Cadet
Sorry im having trouble loading pics. I bought it and left it at the dealer they were willing to store it for me til spring. feels kind of weird to pay so much for something and leave it there.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
here we go.
fetch

Oh yeah that right there is nice and pretty :thumb: :thumb:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I definitely think you made the right choice. And the free storage at the dealership until spring is really nice too. I got lucky and found indoor storage near me in a warehouse where a friend keeps his boat and it is only three miles from my apartment. And I say lucky because everywhere else I had found was 20 miles away in the county. Not much large indoor storage in the actual city of St. Louis.