New way of fishing (Bass)

LubeDude

Admiral
I am doing something this spring that is working "VERY" well, Im using a small plastic worm, actually a dropshot worm rigged texas style with a small wire worm hook and weightless. It was hard for me to tell when I was getting strikes sometimes if the sun was not just right. so Im rigging like what I would call a floating Carolina rig. Im putting what Steelhead fishermen call a "corky" about 18" above the hook and it acts like a bobber of sorts, Im using a 1/2" floresent pink so I can see it. I can work the worm slowly over the beds and just watch for the corky to move, just like bobber fishing for Crappy. Im not missing strikes anymore. Im tying the corky with a palamar knot, through the hole, back through the hole, overhand knot and then the loop over it all then pull tight,then I just put the long end back through the corky and the corky is straight on the line.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New way of fishing (Bass)

Did something very close to that with live night crawlers and a cane pole when I was a tad, LD. Works good. :)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Interesting: a 1/2" hot pink cork? Is it just to add visability to the line or does it float the bait off the bottom?<br /><br />thanks for the tip, I can think of other situations something like that might help - like senkos & flukes.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Interesting: a 1/2" hot pink cork? Is it just to add visability to the line? <br />
Yes, thats what Im using it for, Im fishing the bait pretty high in the water. I actually think it is allowing me to add more enticing action to the worm as I can see just how much I am actually moving the line. It greatly helped the wife figure out not to just drag the worm along and use just little twiches.<br /><br />Im going to have to figure a different way to attach the corky though, I may just use a toothpick to sort of peg the corky to the line. I lost a fish due to a break off on hookset last evening and I think the knot I used cut the line. The pegging would make the leader length adjustable easier also. Its "VERY effective though.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pictures say a 1000 words. I understand the drop shotting and the carolina, but a "corky" ???

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Kevin H.:<br /> Pictures say a 1000 words. I understand the drop shotting and the carolina, but a "corky" ???
Was also gonna ask about a pic. Would like to see the set up.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, Im at work right now, but try and picture this in your head.<br /><br />These "Corkys" Im speeking of are a common thing here in the Pacific Northwest for steelhead river fishing, I guess they are to resemble a cluster of eggs floating downstream. The steelhead fishermen use bigger ones if the water is off color. They are round mostly, (there are some with spinners cast into them). You can get about any color or combination of colors you could ever imagine, and they have a small hole through them. Im using the larger ones, about a 1/2" accross. They are made out of something that floats well.<br /><br />As to the actuall setup, I run the line through the hole and then tie the small worm hook on, (No weight), I am now going to "Peg" the corky on the line, like you would peg a sliding worm sinker, by putting the corky where I want it and then pushing a toothpick in the hole and breaking it off to wedge the line so it doesnt slide up and down.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

a slip bobber would work well for what you are describing. It would also be easier to adjust to the depth that you want to fish.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> a slip bobber would work well for what you are describing. It would also be easier to adjust to the depth that you want to fish.
I tried that with just a little one, but I didnt like the action it gave, just too big even though it was just a little bigger than a nickle.<br /><br />These little corkys are just the ticket, you hardly even know they are there. Im not using it for a depth setting at all, as I am fishing the worm near the surface. The corky is just a line watching device, (strike detector), floating nothing but the line. I tried using an even smaller one last evening, it wooked even better and I could see it easily even though it was only about a 3/8". Little if any resistance. I let a bass take it for awhile to see if she would notice and spit it out, she didnt, and I ask her if she noticed it, and she said, "Notice what, Hel*, I didnt even notice it wasnt a real worm"?????? :D

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

i out fished everyone i went with doing that but jusing a small tiny ice fishing bobber fun isn't it

Skinnywater

Commander

Im going to have to figure a different way to attach the corky though, I may just use a toothpick to sort of peg the corky to the line.
Can you cut small pieces of rubber band and tie them to the line? Use one as a stop for the corkey.<br />The cool thing is you'll be able to easily vary the depth.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

braided line probly wouldn't break on you

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> braided line probly wouldn't break on you
Surprisingly, it was Stren 14 # braid that broke. :eek: Needless to say, I was quite surprised. Anyway, Im not rigging that way anymore.<br /><br />The toothpick Idea is working great, The corkys are made of styrofoam, so the toothpick doesnt pinch the line. I can easily move it up and down if I want. I tried wacky rigging last afternoon. and caught a few that way. When they really dont want to bite, it seems they just cant resist a bait just barely tritching.

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LubeDude:<br /><br />I thought I would bump this up so others that didnt see it would see what I was talking about.<br /><br />This may sound "Hoaky", and you may not want to have someone see you doing this, but I am telling you that you will see strikes that you never ever would know were there.<br /><br />Im using a 6 1/2' meadium action one piece spinning rod and 10# Florocarbon line as these are so light

ebbtide176

Commander

good finesse idea LD. besides, slip bobbers would run down the line to the worm, so pegged sounds good. <br />i did something similar on a small overgrown N GA trout stream. i used one of those strike indicator things flyrod outfitters sold and pegged it on the line of my ultralight spinning outfit to fish a cricket weightless. the s/i looked like a wad of hunter orange wool with a tiny rubberband to run the line thru. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Funny this should pop up again right now. There is an artical about nearly the same thing in this months Bassmasters, They are suggesting a float to hold the bait above the weeds or cover, I dont care for there idea though, too much restance there way, (to big), I dont think the fish even know my Corky is there.

FLATHEAD

Commander

fishinency.jpg
<br /><br /> :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BassFish

Cadet

a slip bobber would work well for what you are describing. It would also be easier to adjust to the depth that you want to fish.

Even though you deny Him, He still died for you and is willing to forgive you whenever you are ready to accept Him as Lord and Savior. I will pray that your eyes will be opened to see that He is real.

Prayin for ya,

Your fishin' friend

gonefishie

Commander

Common, is it really necessary to go dig up a 5 yrs old thread to post something like that? :mad: