new volvo owner

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all. I have been lurking here for a few months now sucking up pre-purchase info and finally made my first boat purchase just before Christmas. 8 year old boat that previous owner had in a colder state (I am in AZ) and froze the block. I bought it from a local mechanic who just dropped in a new 4.3 GL-J long block.

I have spent my free time the last week going over the boat, just learning what all is in there. Lots of fun - I love tinkering and learning, so has been a good experience so far, and haven't even gotten it out on the water yet.

Couple of questions that I had from things I have looked at and from starting it in the driveway today on hose water (I do like the volvo flush fitting also - seems very simple and more foolproof than muffs?):

-Is it normal when the engine is running to get water coming out of the exhaust bellows, or does this indicate a problem? I had what appeared to be leaks at both the front and rear of the bellows, just inside of the hose clamps in both cases. The bellows look to be in good shape, but I have not closely inspected at this point.

-After shutting the motor down, I opened the drain plugs on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds and got almost a half gallon of water out of each. Is this much normal?

-Should I also drain out the raw water pump if I am going to be letting the boat sit for a few weeks in between uses? Any other drains? I didn't see any on the block, but the volvo manual seemed to indicate that there is one there. I have no fear of the engine freezing here, but more just interested in anything that I should do for engine longevity.

-I checked the gear lube level in the SX-A outdrive. Level was good and no sign of elmusification, but I have never seen blue colored gear lube before. Is this a volvo or marine thing?

Thanks!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

The idle relief ports and exhaust is where the water exits, normal

Yes. The exhaust is water cooled, normal

If your in fresh water and no chance of temps dropping, no need to drain. If your in salt water, you should flush after every use

Some marine gear lubes are blue, some are green, some are purple, some are brown. You should be running synthetic

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks - I will have to google around for "idle relief ports" and get a better idea of what/where those are. For curiousity, if the exhaust bellows does have small holes, is it a big deal? It seems like it is somewhat near the water line anyway, and if below water line while boat is stationary and engine off, then water can already back partially up the exhaust path through the outdrive. Hence no need for it to be perfectly sealed?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
this being a new to you boat, I would do a full maintenance cycle. new bellows, new gear lube, new engine oil, all new filters, inspect gimble bearing, etc. while the exhaust bellows isnt a big issue, if the U-joint bellows fails, it lets water in where water shouldnt be and that gets expensive quickly

gumbyaz

Seaman Apprentice
The exhaust bellows come with small holes to allow them to drain.
Yup!! Raised the drive and got under to look at it with a flashlight and found them - two small molded in holes (1/16" dia??) on each end of the exhaust bellows, just inside of where it clamps.

Also for curiosity, after reading up on idle relief ports I think I was able to find mine. Had to pull off the lower anode, but then could see a passageway that leads up into the transom shield just in front of where the anode mounts. Stuck my phone up there on video mode, and there is a keystone-ish shaped pasage that goes through the shield with some sort of restrictor plate in it with "4.3 5.0 5.7 ONLY" stamped on it that has about a 3/8" passageway through it that appears to be the idle relief exit for the exhaust. I can't see any parts identified in that area of the transom shield when I look at volvo's parts breakout drawings, but pretty sure that is what I am looking at.