New valve cover gaskets and still leaking V6 4.3

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Can I reuse my gaskets? I’m not from US and it take a while for me to import it from US. This Fel-Pros are quite new…
@Scott06 , RTV around head bolts you mean on the rubber grommet?

@alldodge , you mean to clean this oil galleys? Where are they? Do you have a picture ?

Last winter when changin oil I’ve used engine oil additive to flush the engine, I use it in my cars from time to time to keep engine clean. Now my oil is so fresh but maybe some gunk clogged it? Thanks for the response guys !
Yes you probably can reuse the gaskets yes put RTV on the rubber grommet for the bolts - basically use RTV anywhere where it could leak.

Hadn't thought of what dodge mentions you could have slow oil return to crank case and oil accumulates on top of heads at High rpm.

To test remove the valve covers and run at 3000 rpm... no seriously worth looking at if you have the covers off anyways

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks I will have busy week but next step is to remove covers.. I will try to blow some compressed air maybe to this galleys…
I’m not a big fan of RTV but will try to use it…

alldodge

Staff member
Use a wire or long skinny blade screw driver. You want to know if that was the problem by trying to get something out of the holes. Using enough air might fix the issue but won't tell you if it was the hole or the RTV

Kubaat3lover

Chief Petty Officer
I think it wasn’t open since the factory so low chance for RTV clogging… but will use wire maybe vacuum suction pump thanks for tips…
So for now:
1. Removing covers and check on the class if it’s strsight
2. Clean / check drain holes
3. Use little of RTV on the gasket

Last edited: