new trolling motor problems and Motorguide won't help

floydp680

Cadet
I have a brand new Motorguide 70 24 volt that broke the second time i went fishing and no one will fix it for me under warranty. the steering cable broke. motorguide doesn't care, the only thing they will do is have me ship it out of state to get it fixed with no idea of how long i will not have it. i have already been out of commission for 1 month dealing with them and trying to get someone to fix it. as far as i am concerned the warranty is worthless and i will never buy another motorguide product again. i just want my fellow anglers to be as informed as possible.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: new trolling motor problems and Motorguide won't help

Let's be fair here. Where have you taken it in an attempt to get it repaired? What you need to understand is that selling dealer(s) are very likely not equipped, trained, does not stock parts (for obvious reasons) or is even authorized to repair the motor. Look at it this way, the service shops at dealerships could spend a couple hours fixing the motor and have more invested in it in labor than the motor cost. It is common practice to return the unit to an authorized warranty service station. An annoyance -- yes. End of the world? -- Not! Follow their instructions and it will get repaired.

floydp680

Cadet

alright silvertip, i have contacted every authorized warranty center for motorguide within driving distance. the first 2 both actually told me that they will not fix my trolling motor because they don't make any money. the shop that agreed to fix it has now said they will not fix it because they have better and more important things to do that they actually make money on and fixing my motor is not their problem because i didn't buy it there. he told me they will not fix and i can come and pick it up and i did. i have called motorguide and the only thing they will do is tell me where to ship it to get it fixed. i expect if i do that i will not be fishing for quite some time. my guess is another month. i have missed 3 tournaments in my area. i usually fish about 3 days a week to prefish as well. i have decided to buy a minnkota, fix the motorguide myself because the warranty is useless, get rid of it, and never buy anything that would require me to deal with any of these same companies again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Since we have only your side of the story to go on I guess we have to settle for that. Sorry your having a problem getting warranty repair done and it would appear MotorGuide has selected some businesses to do warranty work that really don't want to do it. If you are capable of doing the repair yourself, it probably is in your best interest to do so since time is critical in your case. A nicely worded letter to MotorGuide explaining the problem would cause them to look into the businesses you contacted. Most corporations will honor warranty work done by another dealer other than the selling dealer. If that were not the case, the highways would be littered with cars and trucks that have broken down. I'm not disputing or defending MotorGuide. I'm just trying to see both sides. It appears you ran into a couple of really bad service depots. I just can't believe all MotorGuide depots operate in that frame of mind.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds to me like the companys that are used for Warranty work are worthless.
Maybe Motor guide should be told these guys are refusing warranty repairs?
There is a certain obligation that dealers take when they are approve for warranty work.
Being busy is a reason why, but not making any $$ sounds like they are pick and choosing there warranty repairs which is not acceptable IMO.