New transom

ltfella

Seaman Apprentice
I was talking to a couple local people and they suggested reusing the fiberglass skin on my stringers and transom.. is that a good idea?1989 230 coastal i/o wellcraft

jbcurt00

Staff member
No, no its not.

Replace the transom from inside the boat and tab it to the hull.

Stringers remove and replace

johnnybgood

Seaman
I have a 21' Stieger Craft that I rebuilt I did the transom replacement from the outside. Carefully cut the outside fiberglass living ~2" around the edges, dug out all the old wood transom and replaced featured the edges of the outside skin and fiberglassed it all back together. Looks like new and it has been 5 years and no problems. Just impossible to do from the inside

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just impossible to do from the inside
1000s of rebuilds posted here and done from the inside, suggest otherwise.

From the inside, novice glass work isnt as visible and is more forgiving of minor mistakes. Plus no risk of adding a hook to the bottom or sides of the hull.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have done 2 of them from the outside.---Just finished rebuilding a transom from the inside too as it was easy to get at.------Some boats are constructed in such a way that going in from the outside is the best easiest way.------You just glue the outside skin back in position for near perfect results !!