new transducer on tube

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm thinking of installing my new depth finder on my starboard tube,I would like to go deeper in the water than what I had before, does anyone see any reason what I have temporary rigged up here not to work? The transducer would set about 4 inches lower than the bottom of the tube or do I need to go deeper so while I'm moving across the water I can get somewhat of a more accurate reading. I know, screws instead of tape would hold it better!

Attachments

• photo300194.jpg
    photo300194.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 0
  • photo300195.jpg
    photo300195.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the structure supporting the transducer is strong enough to withstand the force of the water at the speeds you travel, I suppose it would work. But I fail to see how that would make the transducer work better or differently than being mounted on the back of the log near the bottom.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If the structure supporting the transducer is strong enough to withstand the force of the water at the speeds you travel, I suppose it would work. But I fail to see how that would make the transducer work better or differently than being mounted on the back of the log near the bottom.

I read a couple of articles that says on a pontoon you need to get the transducer below the bottom of the tube, this is because of the amount of water that is displaced by the tube, leaving the transducer above the water line and not giving a reading while in motion. Only what I read but it kinda sounds logical.

NYBo

Admiral
Are you have a problem with a loss of reading at speed? On my boat, the bottom of the 'toon is never out of the water.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are you have a problem with a loss of reading at speed? On my boat, the bottom of the 'toon is never out of the water.

This is a part of the article I read, "A friend showed me his new pontoon boat, and I was impressed until I saw how a sonar transducer was mounted on the back of a pontoon. I remarked that it probably wouldn't work above idle speed, and he confirmed that as soon as he throttled up above fast idle the fish finder lost its reading.
A transducer must have a constant flow of water across its face, free of turbulence and bubble streams. This transducer was mounted with its bottom higher than the bottom of the pontoon, guaranteeing that it would be buried in turbulence during acceleration, and would lift out of the water at cruising speed."

My old transducer was located above the bottom of the toon by about 3 inches and I would lose info on the screen. I just want to be sure I install this one low enough.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have an old two log pontoon that seldom sees more than 25 MPH and the fish/depth finder works well almost all the time. The transducer is mounted on the aft face of the starboard log about one inch above the bottom of the log. ... My thought is that any object moving through the water fast enough will create a disurbance around it. If you are going fast enough to create a bubble of air behind the log, I suspect you would also see a bubble of air around your bracket. But, if your boat has strakes and goes fast enough to actually lift the logs and transducer out of the water, that is another matter.

BTW, we recently discussed transducer location with another member and revisited the fact that they only see straight down. So if you are traveling forward at any speed much above idle, you can't react quickly enough to avoid any obstacle you might see on the scope. Similarly, if you are traveling quickly enough to disrupt the flow of water around the transducer, you'll not likely be able to react quickly enough to stop for any fish you might spot.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
My old transducer was located above the bottom of the toon by about 3 inches and I would lose info on the screen. I just want to be sure I install this one low enough.
Yeah, that's too far up, for sure. Mine is even with the bottom of the pontoon.

icwingman

Seaman
i mounted mine in back of and below my livewell pump, works fine always have bottom readings at any speed