New Tohatsu 3.5hp

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have owned a Merccruiser i/o for 15 years, but have no experience with an outboard. I just bought a new Tohatsu 3.5 for an inflatable, and have some questions:
1) I am in northern Michigan, and it's still 25 degrees out, but I can't stand looking at my brand new motor and not being able to play with it. If I run it in a 55 gal drum, then pull it out when I'm done, does all the water automatically run out of it, or do I need to do more to it?
2) Beside checking gear oil, adding engine oil and fresh gas, and following the recommended break in periods, anything else need to be done to make this a happy motor?
Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Tohatsu 3.5hp

Get yourself a engine stand, if not, simply stand the engine vertically with hands when out of barrel, let all water drain out. In cold/icy environments same, + remove safety lanyard and pull rope 2 times to avoid water leftovers ice formations inside engine. Just read all the manual thoroughly to know what you are doing.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

When you are done running the engine for the day...Turn the fuel **** to the off position and let the engine run in neutral until it wants to die. At that point pull the choke in and out to suck the last of the fuel out of the bowl.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, more stupid questions. Started my motor for the first time today. It's about 40 degrees out. I started it, idled for 10 minutes, then about 1/4 throttle (varying it up and down occasionally) for the next 45 minutes or so. I shut it down for about a half hour, than tried to restart. I tried first with no choke, then full choke, than 1/2 etc, also with throttle in start and restart. Eventually got it running again, but it took awhile. Even pulled the plug to see if I had flooded it, but it was clean.
So the questions: Should it need choke that quick normally, or is that the result of 40 degree weather. Also, what is the difference between start and restart on the throttle? Restart is farther up the scale than start which seems opposite to what it should be.

pvanv

Admiral

In 40 degree weather you will likely need choke after a half hour of cooling.
The restart position is adding some throttle above idle... allows some more air in to overcome extra richness when warm starting -- it's OK to use either when warm or cold, BTW.