New to Wakeboards and have a couple questions

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everybody,I have a opportunity to buy a Wakeboard from a guy for 40.00 but we have never owned one and have a couple questions

Are these about like Water Skiiing as far as diffuculty and such?

Do they take more HP so to speak to pull versus a tube or Water Skis?

I know 40.00 is not a fortune but still do not want to spend the money if its something the kids could not use efficiently..Thanks for any input you might have...

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New to Wakeboards and have a couple questions

Wakeboards take less power than a single ski and more than a tube to pull. Almost anyone will get up and started faster on a wakeboard than on two skis and once you get around the idea of twisting your body at the waist it is not hard to wakeboard. My kids found it much more fun than skiing, especially getting up the first time. My 14 year old daughter slalom skis and wakeboards. My younger son and daughter don't bother skiing at all.
If you are getting a rope to tow them, a non stretch rope is better for wakeboarding than a regular ski rope. There are lots of videos on the net to help learn starts and control. Also, if you ask most boarders for some tips they are usually eager to give you help.
Good luck, I think your kids would enjoy it.

oldjeep

Admiral

Just make sure the board is sized for the people who will be using it. Nothing more miserable than a small person trying to control a board that is too big for them. My 5ft 2 wife used to try to use the same board as my sons and I use (we are all around 6ft 150-180lbs) and it worked horribly for her. Bought here an appropriate sized board and it was night and day difference.

Wakeboard requires very little power to get up on. Whether it is easier or not than skiing depends on your other activities. My 2 sons are snowboarders and skateboarders, very easy - I grew up ski racing which makes standing sideways require much more thought.

71satellite

Cadet

Good advice in the previous posts. My old boat was a 21' cuddy cabin with a 125 HP 4 cyl Volvo, and it pulled me (6' 200lbs) just fine. Now, weighed down with 5 other people in the boat, it took a while to get on plane....but we only had that many people once.

If you can snowboard, you can wakeboard. If you are an avid skiier/waterskiier, there's a bit of a learning curve to get over because youre feet are strapped in and pointed "the wrong way". But once you get the hang of it, boarding is way more fun than skiing. You can do more tricks on a wakeboard, and even just fooling around between the wakes is entertaining.

The issue of sizing is definitely important. Read a bit online about sizing - and keep in mind that a 6' 150 lb person needs a different board than a 6' 220 lb person.
As for boards in general, if you're looking at an older board it likely has just one center fin, and little/no "rails" or "ribs" on the bottom. Newer boards have multiple fins and rails, which make a HUGE difference as far as control when you're cutting in/out. Also, older wakeboard boots tended to be velcro and wrap affairs...not very supportive. The newer lace style boots tend to be more supportive (as long as you don't get the bottom of the line stuff), which translates into better control and response to your movements.

My first board was an old used board, along with old used bindings. I thought it was awesome, until I spent some money and bought new gear - it blew me away! What a difference. No more fighting to keep the board from nosing in, and no more sore feet.
(incidentally, check out www.boardersmall.com. I'm not affiliated with them at all, but they have some really great prices. Subscribe to their emailing service - if you can be patient some fantastic deals come along. I've bought gear for myself, my father, and most recently my girlfriend, from them and have been happy every time).

Hope that helps,
Chris

LazzyHoney

Recruit

if its something the kids could not use efficiently..Thanks for any input you might have... My kids found it much more fun than skiing, especially getting up the first time. My 14 year old daughter slalom skis and wakeboards.Wakeboard requires very little power to get up on. Whether it is easier or not than skiing depends on your other activities.