New to Volvo family

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone
I just bought my first Volvo powered boat. A 07 Hurricane 202 with 5.0gXi. I know I’ll be spending a lot of time here learning this new system. I’ve been a Merc man my whole life as was my dad, so this is all new to me. I just wanted to say hi and for sure I’ll be seeing you around.

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
While learning my way around the engine bay, I discovered the distributor cap is held on with zip ties because the little screw holes are stripped or broken. Im not even sure it’s a traditional distributor but that’s what it looks like. Not sure how to address this but definitely don’t want an ignition component held together with zip ties!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
May have to swap the dizzy. The plastic body dizzys suffered from the screws stripping out. You can also get threaded inserts for the plastic

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
You have the infamous plastic distributor housing. There are several fixes. One is getting the Dorman 90449 Vortec Distributor Repair Plate (link). I personally do not like this option as you can lose it into the bilge during cap replacement. But it works. Two: if the holes are not too baldly stripped out and cracked, another option is to carefully thru tap the housing with something like a 8-32 and use a machine screw to hold down the cap (they were originally held down with a screw with sheet metal like threads). I was able to do this with mine and it’s working great. Three: replace the dist. but need to be carful to ensure its SAE J1171 certified. I am doing some investigation on the aftermarket replacement distributors (I have a 5.0 GXi-E) but have not finished it yet (but will post it when done). In the meantime, know there are supposedly “marine” distributors out there that are not. If pulling the dist, be careful of the clocking and if unsure what that means, PM me and I can guide you with that.
And Welcome!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You can get a GM bare billet aluminum dizzy and swap over the ICM. Was about $100 last time I checked

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
You have the infamous plastic distributor housing. There are several fixes. One is getting the Dorman 90449 Vortec Distributor Repair Plate (link). I personally do not like this option as you can lose it into the bilge during cap replacement. But it works. Two: if the holes are not too baldly stripped out and cracked, another option is to carefully thru tap the housing with something like a 8-32 and use a machine screw to hold down the cap (they were originally held down with a screw with sheet metal like threads). I was able to do this with mine and it’s working great. Three: replace the dist. but need to be carful to ensure its SAE J1171 certified. I am doing some investigation on the aftermarket replacement distributors (I have a 5.0 GXi-E) but have not finished it yet (but will post it when done). In the meantime, know there are supposedly “marine” distributors out there that are not. If pulling the dist, be careful of the clocking and if unsure what that means, PM me and I can guide you with that.
And Welcome!
Yes, please post your findings. Thanks

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
I also noticed that my ear muffs I’ve always used on my Merc won’t fit the Volvo outdrive. Is there one everyone likes?

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
I have posted what I have learned to date (link). It started off as a request for the upper seal of the distributor. Once my investigation is complete I’ll post the finding under a new post.

For the muffs > it seems that most shy away from using them on the VPs. There should be on your engine a ‘flush hose connection’. Looks like the pic below. This hose Y’s into the same line from your sterndrive but right next to the Raw Water Pump. Admittedly I was reluctant to use it at first thinking perhaps only for rising, not running. But I have used it for years to run the engine when I need to on the trailer. Due to a limited supply I do not run it a above 2000 RPM for any length of time.

Flush Hose Connection.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I also noticed that my ear muffs I’ve always used on my Merc won’t fit the Volvo outdrive. Is there one everyone likes?
Search Volvo Muffs

I use these.

1000003359.png

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
I have posted what I have learned to date (link). It started off as a request for the upper seal of the distributor. Once my investigation is complete I’ll post the finding under a new post.

For the muffs > it seems that most shy away from using them on the VPs. There should be on your engine a ‘flush hose connection’. Looks like the pic below. This hose Y’s into the same line from your sterndrive but right next to the Raw Water Pump. Admittedly I was reluctant to use it at first thinking perhaps only for rising, not running. But I have used it for years to run the engine when I need to on the trailer. Due to a limited supply I do not run it a above 2000 RPM for any length of time.

View attachment 398571
Yes mine has that hose connection. I’m concerned about the rubber impeller in the outdrive running dry if you don’t push water from the bottom up. I know on Merc’s if you run without muffs for very little time the dry impeller will shred. Not sure about VP. Like you I thought that hose connection was for flushing the block after salt water use?

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Ah, i see. There is no impeller in my SX-M outdrive. What do you have?

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
The muffs I have used on my Metc Alpha One work fine on the VP DPS- A outdrive.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
With a VP outdrive you can typically feed water under pressure into the outdrive via muffs. But cannot suck water or say pink RV antifreeze from a bucket and have the cooling system work properly.

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
Ah, i see. There is no impeller in my SX-M outdrive. What do you have?
Oh wow so no impeller in the drive itself? Ok that’s different to me. I need to collect all my serial numbers. All I know at this point is it’s a SX.

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
With a VP outdrive you can typically feed water under pressure into the outdrive via muffs. But cannot suck water or say pink RV antifreeze from a bucket and have the cooling system work properly.
Definitely a learning curve for me.