New to the Forum and iboats

bstone81

Administrator
Just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to iboats and this forum. I joined iboats this week as the new Online Marketing Administrator. I'm excited to be working for a great company, and look forward to corresponding with all the great people on this forum.

I will, from time to time, ask for your input as it pertains to how iboats can improve in its marketing areas.

Thanks,

Brad Stone
iboats.com

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to the Forum and iboats

Welcome aboard, Brad Stone. :)

I am sure that asking this bunch for input will be like taking a sip from a fire hydrant.:D

Bondo

Staff member

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to iboats and this forum. I joined iboats this week as the new Online Marketing Administrator. I'm excited to be working for a great company, and look forward to corresponding with all the great people on this forum.

I will, from time to time, ask for your input as it pertains to how iboats can improve in its marketing areas.

Thanks,

Brad Stone
iboats.com

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Brad,....

Marketing,..??

Put the parts links back on top of the I/O forums...

halfmoa

Ensign

Brad,
First off welcome to the best online community I've ever been a part of. Secondly, to pronounce the "Ayuh" properly in Bond-o's posts you must say it while breathing in. (It's a New Englander/Maine thing-took me FOREVER to figure it out!)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Brad. Welcome aboard!

Marketing? Make it easier to order an SEI drive if you know what you want . . . Going through all the steps just to check a price is annoying. Lol. JB's fire hydrant. Thirsty? :eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome Brad....

dont know if you love boats....but you will become addicted by hanging out on the forums.

i dont quite understand marketing.....do you mean marketing the site to the public ? or marketing the store to the members, or both?

the face book cartoons and page is great.....it really can help get more people to see the site.....we saw tremendous viewership this past season.......we all want to see that new number double by next july 4th weekend.

I am sure that asking this bunch for input will be like taking a sip from a fire hydrant.:D

BAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAAA

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brad,
First off welcome to the best online community I've ever been a part of. Secondly, to pronounce the "Ayuh" properly in Bond-o's posts you must say it while breathing in. (It's a New Englander/Maine thing-took me FOREVER to figure it out!)

Me too! Is it something like the Canadiens and their saying Eh? Welcome! Now I'm no longer the newest member lol

See you on the lake

Joe

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Input, huh? Well for starters

Just kidding!:p Welcome aboard.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to iboats Brad, Now lets see some pics of your boat.

bstone81

Administrator

Thanks all for your kind words and input. To answer several of your questions. I was born and raised in the LA area of California. So, at heart I'm a California boy. Having said that, I have now lived more of my life in Utah. So, I guess I'm also a Utah boy at heart. So when it comes to using the right lingo, I might be pretty mixed with my slang.

Yes, I'm an avid boater. I grew up on a slalom water ski, getting up my first time on a single ski when I was 8 years old. I love to slice and dice. However, now in my late 50's, it hurts to get up and it hurts when I fall. So my logged skiing time get less and less each year. I also ski barefoot. I have a 93 2050 Capri Bayliner (Still looks brand new, as I have garaged it the whole time, and I spend my leisure time polishing it), a couple of waverunners and I'm a partner in a houseboat at Lake Powell. My houseboat is a 75 foot Sumerset.

As marketing goes, I am responsible for most forms of online marketing for iboats, particularly SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), PPC (Paid-per-click), Sponsored advertising through Google and Bing, and in general all areas of marketing that drives traffic to the hundreds of iboats websites.

As I receive your input, I will certainly be addressing your suggestions and ideas. After all, it is you, the consumer, which is the best barometer for determining what works and what does not.

To start of with, we are in the process of doing a new redesign of our main iboats website. I'd love to receive your input. What I'm most interested in are things like: What was the first thing that caught your eye when landing on the iboats.com main page? How was the ease of navigation? Did you easily find what you were looking for? Were you motivated by any "call to action" to purchase something. (After all, that is why we are in business.)

Thanks, and hopefully over time I can earn my sea legs on this forum.

Brad

bstone81

Administrator

Hey Brad. Welcome aboard!

Marketing? Make it easier to order an SEI drive if you know what you want . . . Going through all the steps just to check a price is annoying. Lol. JB's fire hydrant. Thirsty? :eek:

QC - Seeing the picture of Havasu Falls in your signature, reminded me of my first trek down to Havasu when I was a scout. It is one of my favorites!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, nice to meet ya brad!

As for marketing around here, well, I'll cut right to the chase...

Were you motivated by any "call to action" to purchase something.

Price wins.

The iboats website is totally fine in my opinion. I have always been able to find what I need, easily too. Unfortunately, I have taken the majority of my business elsewhere due to major price differences though. I have been able to happily support iboats when they have run major sales (not the 5% off stuff) but those are pretty rare. I'm thinking of the one that was advertised a while back it was like $15 for every $50 spent or something.

Now, I am a self proclaimed bottom feeder and am always working on a shoestring budget. Therefore, always looking for great deals on gear. So, you may not care too much to market to me (or my kind) ya know. (though there are a lot of "my kind" out there)

Example: I was needing some vinyl for upholstery work not long ago. Iboats had what I needed, the sales staff was very helpful, pricepoint, $35/yard, 4-6 weeks to ship. Called another company, yup exact same vinyl, $9/yard, on hand ready to ship. I can look past the shipping timeline, but that is a world of difference in $.

So, like I said, just one man's opinion...

Marketing sure helps, but in the end, price wins.

Cheers man!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I find iboats to be kinda like Amazon......not bad if you know specifically what you're looking for, but near impossible to browse. A lot of products have poor or no pictures. When I'm just looking to buy something new for the boat, I'm more apt to check out overtons or wholesalemarine.

Cap’n Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
+1 ez

The product photos need a LOT of help, there have been a number of items I needed and because of the lack or quality of photos I had to go elsewhere, I want to be sure I get what I need- doing it twice is never fun!

Welcome aboard though Brad, good to have you along.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I find iboats to be kinda like Amazon......not bad if you know specifically what you're looking for, but near impossible to browse. A lot of products have poor or no pictures. When I'm just looking to buy something new for the boat, I'm more apt to check out overtons or wholesalemarine.

Ditto......

bstone81

Administrator
Well, nice to meet ya brad!

As for marketing around here, well, I'll cut right to the chase...

Price wins.

The iboats website is totally fine in my opinion. I have always been able to find what I need, easily too. Unfortunately, I have taken the majority of my business elsewhere due to major price differences though. I have been able to happily support iboats when they have run major sales (not the 5% off stuff) but those are pretty rare. I'm thinking of the one that was advertised a while back it was like $15 for every $50 spent or something.

Now, I am a self proclaimed bottom feeder and am always working on a shoestring budget. Therefore, always looking for great deals on gear. So, you may not care too much to market to me (or my kind) ya know. (though there are a lot of "my kind" out there)

Example: I was needing some vinyl for upholstery work not long ago. Iboats had what I needed, the sales staff was very helpful, pricepoint, $35/yard, 4-6 weeks to ship. Called another company, yup exact same vinyl, $9/yard, on hand ready to ship. I can look past the shipping timeline, but that is a world of difference in $.

So, like I said, just one man's opinion...

Marketing sure helps, but in the end, price wins.

Cheers man!

Thanks jasoutside. I will certainly discuss this with our pricing folks.

Thanks Ezmobee. We are actually doing a complete website redesign, and adding a lot more pics.

+1 ez

The product photos need a LOT of help, there have been a number of items I needed and because of the lack or quality of photos I had to go elsewhere, I want to be sure I get what I need- doing it twice is never fun!

Welcome aboard though Brad, good to have you along.

Thanks for the input. We will be working on improving our photos.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Ezmobee. We are actually doing a complete website redesign, and adding a lot more pics.

As a web developer, I will certainly be interested in seeing the results. Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Yes, I'm an avid boater. I grew up on a slalom water ski, getting up my first time on a single ski when I was 8 years old. I love to slice and dice. However, now in my late 50's, it hurts to get up and it hurts when I fall. So my logged skiing time get less and less each year. I also ski barefoot. I have a 93 2050 Capri Bayliner (Still looks brand new, as I have garaged it the whole time, and I spend my leisure time polishing it), a couple of waverunners and I'm a partner in a houseboat at Lake Powell. My houseboat is a 75 foot Sumerset.

hmmm.....avid boater........grew up on a water ski but now finding the joints are a little stiff to do it as much as you want........bilge liner 20 footer.......pwc's.....and a 75 house boat......

a sucker for punishment eh?.....:p:D you will fit right in here ! ;)

As marketing goes, I am responsible for most forms of online marketing for iboats, particularly SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), PPC (Paid-per-click), Sponsored advertising through Google and Bing, and in general all areas of marketing that drives traffic to the hundreds of iboats websites.

it was really hard to find iboats when i first started searching.....i actually found it via another boating forum. however...this was a few years ago, and now that my puter has figgured out that i like boats....every add that comes up is a boating add.....iboats included.

To start of with, we are in the process of doing a new redesign of our main iboats website.

e-gads, not again ! you guys just about killed us with the last change....lol

I'd love to receive your input. What I'm most interested in are things like: What was the first thing that caught your eye when landing on the iboats.com main page? How was the ease of navigation? Did you easily find what you were looking for? Were you motivated by any "call to action" to purchase something. (After all, that is why we are in business.)

IMHO.....the fourms are a real draw to iboats store. i would increase the size of link to the forums and add a few more words.....like " want to fix your boat your self" or another hook to draw the person to the forum. here....we use positioning statements like....."boat university".....or "everything boating" (iboats main positioning statement)

as far as call to action on a purchase.....of course price counts.....some of the deals on dead stock are fantastic....but i dont need infant lifejackets....lol
however having the stock i needed or was looking for was paramount. you guys in the states, seem to love ordering off the puter......in canada....we still pick up the phone.....(iboats has FANTASTIC SERVICE......did i say fantastic?...i ment TOTALLY OUTSTANDING).
because the forum has given so much to me, i order some items here (even tho i can order right thru seirra or western) but i am an exception to the rule. The attention to canadian purchasers over the past two years has really been great....

however....may i say.....the actual written discription of some of the items is very lacking....these are important details that MUST BE INCLUDED.

the thing that caught me to the forums....was the "friendlyness" and every day joe type of people here. other forums had pros that were so far over my head that i was afraid to ask.
i attribute this success to JB and the mod squad.

the reason i stayed glued to the forum as an epic thread called sold a boat and it busted. from then on in.....after seemingly getting to know some of the posters....i started my own thread here, in the restoration section.

if i had one suggestion for attracting the masses.....it would be to pay more attention to the iboats facebook page. it seems that the i love boating page has taken over. keep up the two of them. with constant posting of new topics every couple of hours.....iboats will remain on peoples feeds......and with the online games like farmville.....these status up dates will be seen by thousands more people if we become friends to iboats........so, in short.....much more attention to the social networking areas to keep the repetition in new client advertising.

any how.......hope this helps a little

cheers
oops