New to me

Just got this boat, and previous kid I got the boat from didn't know really anything about it as it was passed down to him. Trying to identify the boat as far as model and year. Trying to find identify the engine as well, I have seen a lot of posts saying it might be a Chrysler but any help would be helpful from someone who knows more than me, as this is my first boat and while I have a lot of experience with automotive, motorcycles and diesels... boats are a different animal that I am not familiar with.
boat.jpgboat 2.jpgboat 3.jpgboat 4.jpgboat 5.jpg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sure looks like a Chrysler.-----Picture with cowling off will remove all doubt.

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was there a year on the title or capacity plate? I have a lot of the old brochures and may be able to narrow it down if we have an approximate age.

Attachments

• 95514C72-0122-4DC0-A341-5A9EA2C012E8.jpeg
    95514C72-0122-4DC0-A341-5A9EA2C012E8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • E7E57748-B9FB-4EC2-90BB-DAFCE9A0FA70.jpeg
    E7E57748-B9FB-4EC2-90BB-DAFCE9A0FA70.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • 192C57A6-F154-42F5-962A-0588BDF8A744.jpeg
    192C57A6-F154-42F5-962A-0588BDF8A744.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I suspect the Transom is rotting, as the Pic taken from behind, shows some big cracks along the top of the Transom.
There should be a HIN located on Transom, starboard. Last 2 digits are the Yr of the hull

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you know the length? Anyway, I think it is a mid 80s Contemporary Sport Series, here is a pic from the 1985 brochure. The top left photo has the same graphics and the windshield brace looks similar as well. I don't have the 1981-1984 or 1986 brochures, but by 1987 that series had a very different graphic.

Untitled.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Old glasser, you will have your work cut out to get her safe !! These ikd glassers have a wood structer and is probably rotten...sorry for the news but they all are ! Transom and stringers, the main skeleton of the boat will need replaced. Check compression on that ild motor first and see if it is worth fixing. Wish I had better news but be prepared for some long hours and big bucks to make it seaworthy !!

Do you know the length? Anyway, I think it is a mid 80s Contemporary Sport Series, here is a pic from the 1985 brochure. The top left photo has the same graphics and the windshield brace looks similar as well. I don't have the 1981-1984 or 1986 brochures, but by 1987 that series had a very different graphic.

View attachment 383637
Old glasser, you will have your work cut out to get her safe !! These ikd glassers have a wood structer and is probably rotten...sorry for the news but they all are ! Transom and stringers, the main skeleton of the boat will need replaced. Check compression on that ild motor first and see if it is worth fixing. Wish I had better news but be prepared for some long hours and big bucks to make it seaworthy !!

So I finally found out it is in fact a 1984 CSS160, the force engine seems to run really good for its age. I do plan on grabbing my compression tester from work and testing the compression on her but she seems to run good, I do have to fix the drive controls because I believe the cables are bad. How do I figure out what kinda shape it is in airshot? The floor feels pretty solid. I will say there’s a couple small cracks in the fiberglass on the transom, I figured I have some experience in repairing fiberglass so I don’t see it being a huge issue.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Cracks in the glass are not just repairs, it is the start of structural issues ! Best way is to open up the floor and check the stringers for rot. The transom can be drilled for core samples from the inside near the bottom, not all the way thru ! Dry solid wood is what your looking for, wet/ damp crumbly wood particles is a sign of rot. Rotten wood has no strength. If the transom is good just plug the holes with marine sealant. You need to know for sure, your safety is at risk.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Also, does anyone know where to find some info on that engine? I haven’t been able to find anything
Serial number for the motor would help to ID it and for new parts. Not sure but a lot of parts for those motors are probably NLA but the water pump parts should be available still.

Serial number for the motor would help to ID it and for new parts. Not sure but a lot of parts for those motors are probably NLA but the water pump parts should be available still.
where is the ESN on outboards typically at?
Cracks in the glass are not just repairs, it is the start of structural issues ! Best way is to open up the floor and check the stringers for rot. The transom can be drilled for core samples from the inside near the bottom, not all the way thru ! Dry solid wood is what your looking for, wet/ damp crumbly wood particles is a sign of rot. Rotten wood has no strength. If the transom is good just plug the holes with marine sealant. You need to know for sure, your safety is at risk.
well that’s unfortunate lol, i guess i got a project for the winter

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
where is the ESN on outboards typically at?
well that’s unfortunate lol, i guess i got a project for the winter
I'm really not familiar with the Chrysler motors so you'll need to scour the entire motors outside and under the cowl for a motor ID plate. I would also post a thread in the Chrysler motor group for their input.