New to me used 2.3l

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i bought the used 2.3l omc...
Can i just empty out the oil pan and put in new?
Should i wash it out with diesel?
A Quick search shows the pricw of Sierra oil pan gasket at 100USD... thats a little rich, can i use an automotive gasket?
What else could/should i do?

1000004051.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Boats are expensive

I wouldn't flush with diesel

Is this motor proven to be a runner?

Compression numbers?

Change the timing belt

matt167

Rear Admiral
You can use permetex if you really want to. Yes an automotive oil pan gasket will work.. an automotive head gasket will not

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Boats are expensive

I wouldn't flush with diesel

Is this motor proven to be a runner?

Compression numbers?

Change the timing belt
Was inside for 3 months
Removed 3 months ago
Turns over, compression inknown but plugs looked good tan color
There are somethings different than what is on my engine.
This new one has a power steering pump, i will remove. The pump goes to.a device into which a water hose goes as well.. not sure what this is. I will attempt.to find the year on this new to me engine. Serial number t1132775...
It does NOT have the 2 extra solenoids which original engine has. i will transplant the plate that holds these solenoids. I believe that they are for the trim pump .. up/down.

There is an extra device into which a water hose runs... also into this device i see a hose from the power steering pump run...
I am still searching for a manual

Any advice is welcomed

Fritz

Attachments

• 20240713_204914.jpg
    20240713_204914.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was inside for 3 months
Removed 3 months ago
Turns over, compression inknown but plugs looked good tan color
There are somethings different than what is on my engine.
This new one has a power steering pump, i will remove. The pump goes to.a device into which a water hose goes as well.. not sure what this is. I will attempt.to find the year on this new to me engine. Serial number t1132775...
It does NOT have the 2 extra solenoids which original engine has. i will transplant the plate that holds these solenoids. I believe that they are for the trim pump .. up/down.

There is an extra device into which a water hose runs... also into this device i see a hose from the power steering pump run...
I am still searching for a manual

Any advice is welcomed

Fritz
What is this fitting for? I searched on the parts list and it shows a #31 with a hose, but no description

Attachments

• 20240714_100434.jpg
    20240714_100434.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member
What is this fitting for? I searched on the parts list and it shows a #31 with a hose, but no description
Ayuh,..... That's the fuel pump vent,.... There should be a piece of tygon tubing that runs up to a fitting on top of the carb, or to the flame arrester,....
It's a visual thing, that if empty, all is good, if gas in it, the fuel pump needs replacing,.....

The next picture up is the P/S cooler,.... If you don't have P/S, you don't need it,....

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ayuh,..... That's the fuel pump vent,.... There should be a piece of tygon tubing that runs up to a fitting on top of the carb, or to the flame arrester,....
It's a visual thing, that if empty, all is good, if gas in it, the fuel pump needs replacing,.....

The next picture up is the P/S cooler,.... If you don't have P/S, you don't need it,....
Thanks, ...
That out put to the cooler can that then be run to the water intake as it was my 1986?
This engine is an 89 as serial number decoded to.
I am in the process of removing solenoid plate from the 86 and replacing the on the 89. I am labeling the connections for this swap.
I come across the trim sendi g unit connector next. I do not have a gauge for this.. i imagine these 2 lines terminate.disconnected.somewhere in the loom...

I.will have parts left.over can i post them for sale here?

Attachments

• 20240714_115129.jpg
    20240714_115129.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240714_115133.jpg
    20240714_115133.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... If you don't have P/S, you don't need the cooler,.... By-pass it, 'n toss it,....

'n No sellin' parts on the forum,...... Rule #8, I think,...... Rules are in my signature,.....

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cant get into Dons Adults Only Section>.. .
say not allowed. .

another question about the differences between the 1986 and 1989
The cables for the shifting and throttle are mounted differently. the 1986 hast it mounted off of the exhaust manifold on top
the 1989 has this bracket mounted along side of the exhaust manifold.

Should I swap these brackets? The cables were "set" for the 1986 engine and throttle controls,, te 1989 seems in better shape. I imagine that I would have to readjust the cables for the 1989 bracket. This is the ignition interupt I am speaking about

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got the new engine installed.
Seems.i may need to clean and fine adjust the carbueretor...
I have a battery switch...1 or 2 or both on. Or both off.
Positives are switched. Both batteries' ground goes to the engine and a ground plate.
If I run the engine and have the switch srt to "both" batteries, with they both charge?

Bondo

Staff member
Got the new engine installed.
Seems.i may need to clean and fine adjust the carbueretor...
I have a battery switch...1 or 2 or both on. Or both off.
Positives are switched. Both batteries' ground goes to the engine and a ground plate.
If I run the engine and have the switch srt to "both" batteries, with they both charge?
Ayuh,...... Correct,....

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Seems that something went awry...
I installed the replacement 2.3l engine, it has the ignition interrupt mounted on the SIDE of the exhaust manifold, whereas the original had it ON TOP of the 90* elbow exhaust. She will either go into forward, or reverse but not both with the same setting.
I have adjusted the shift cable (red) in half turn increments, thats the minimum I can do, forward and back.
Shifting was not an issue.
Question:
If I did not properly set the actuating end of the cable would this lead to this behavior? I have both of the adjustment fixtures. the plate that bolts to the outdrive and the plate used for the adjustment of the cable end on the throttle and shift cable plate.
I am not certain how to adjust the height of the lower units actuating end.

thank you for reading

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Scott,
I did all f those ... even figured out the screwdriver trick on my own and saved much time.
I think I must have an alignment issue happening.. The shifting worked fine before the engine swap. ...
I have fixtures for both ends of the shift cable... the one for setting the distance between cable ferrule and the lock nut where the threaded end goes into the cable jacket, as well as the plate that holds the actuating element in "neutral".
I think I may be off in the height of the rod in the lower unit that actually switched from forward to neutral to reverse and back again.. Where can I find the procedure for this please.
Fritz

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey Scott,
I did all f those ... even figured out the screwdriver trick on my own and saved much time.
I think I must have an alignment issue happening.. The shifting worked fine before the engine swap. ...
I have fixtures for both ends of the shift cable... the one for setting the distance between cable ferrule and the lock nut where the threaded end goes into the cable jacket, as well as the plate that holds the actuating element in "neutral".
I think I may be off in the height of the rod in the lower unit that actually switched from forward to neutral to reverse and back again.. Where can I find the procedure for this please.
Fritz
An alignment issue between the drive and engine won't cause the shifting issue you are currently experiencing. I did a little digging and the part number for the lower shift cable for a 1986 and the following years is different.
If I'm understanding your information correctly you went with the cable mount that was on the replacement engine? If you did I would revert back to the manifold mounting. Since the part numbers are different I'm assuming that the lengths could be different potentially causing your issue.
If you didn't split the two halves for the drive I wouldn't think your issue is with the rod height.

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I switch the ESA bracketry back the 1987 version, horizontal orientation, and i am now shifting smoothly.
I will no longer spell bote, rather boat.
I took her out and what a great ride i had. 3 years and it seems to be correct. Touch wood.
I am not able to post pictures? Error message states "....the site administrator will need to..." something... cant make out the rest of the text.
Next.. adjusting the carbueretor.
Last year i bought a rebuilt 2 bbl from Flying Fish and have now installed it. Tough adjustments made i can get the 2.3l to idle at 850 to 900. Specs call for 600 to 650. New plugs, points looked fine and i added white lithium...
Smoothly accelerates.till about 2500/3krpm. Then a stutter pop ...pause and then accelerates to 5000 nicely.
Both air mix screws are out 1.5 turns

fritzL

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The carburetor which came with the motor did not look as clean as the one i bought last year. Last years carb was storen inside, the one which came with the engine has surface rust.. spiders even