New to me boat with VP 5.7GS

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey folks, i will like some input as to what to go over in a new to me VP 5.7GS engine to help it last longer. So far i have done a compression check on all 8 cyls and came back with 175-180 across the board. From what i can gather the boat 2001 Wellcraft 2600 Martinique has been sitting sometime unused. The clock read 200 hrs. Unsure if accurate or not. I have replaced the oil sender switch, oil sensor, temp switch, temp sensor. The alarm has a steady beep before starting that goes away after engine is running. Will also address the bad belts. New pump and impeller are coming due to pump leak. I will also look at the risers and manifolds since i am unsure about their history. I have also replaced the cap and rotor of the prestolite because they where in poor conditions. On start up the engine is not very happy for about a couple of seconds and then it stays running fine. What would be recomendations to make this grumpy engine happy again?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
And spark plugs
Also esp if used in brackish or salt water; exhaust elbows. Esp if there are any rust stains in the joint between the manifold & elbow…

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would send out the carb to be rebuilt by a professional. Many just throw on a carb rebuilt kit but don't get all the passages clean. The professional will use an ultrasonic cleaner.

But first check you choke.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
They now sell ultrasonic cleaners big enough to hold a Quadrajet or Holley 4bbl. I’m gonna get one!

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, the carb is not looking the best to say the least. Working to get my hands on a 1409. Currently has a 2 barrel Holley and cranky indeed on startup. Oil psi states 25-30 psi which did not sit right even with new sensors and senders. I hooked a gauge to it and its reading 45 idle, something else to gaze at...the gauges.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There should be an adapter on the intake that can be removed to bolt on a 4-barrel.

There are only 2 gaskets needed to go through a Holley 2300 2-barrel. Most of the crud will have blocked the metering plate passages. If you do a whole teardown there are only about 6 parts on the carb

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed a Holley 2bbl is about as simple as it gets. For a $40 rebuild kit it could be as good as new, as long as it’s not corroded inside.