New to Me Boat - Need Help

tsnipes

Seaman
Re: New to Me Boat - Need Help

Okay, I ordered what I hope is the correct electronic ignition conversion kit for my distributor - mallory YL673AV.

The kit includes the module and and a new base plate and wiring harness.

It looks like a simple install, but looks can be deceiving. Because my distributor is likely from 1975, the screws that secure the base plate were so corroded that I could not get them loose, so I had to work at it to get them loose enough to get the old plate out.

The module will not fit over the distributor shaft with the piece that is supposed to open the points still in the distributor, so it has to be removed. Problem is, I do not know how to get this off. The instructions say to use a gear puller to remove it and the kit included a piece to go into the end of the shaft for the gear puller to seat into. However, I cannot find a gear puller that will fit inside the housing and go underneath the cam to pull it off. I bought one that would fit, but when I put it on and tried to tighten it to remove the cam, it simply bent and slid out from underneath the cam. I returned it and got a heavier duty one, but it is too thick to fit inside the housing and go under the gear to pull it off.

I removed the distributor from the engine to make things easier to work on, but I am still stuck. I was considering pulling the gear off of the shaft and removing the shaft from the housing, which would make the cam accessible to get the puller on to remove it.

Can someone please tell me how to remove the gear from the shaft without damaging anything? There is a pin that goes through the gear and shaft, and I assume that this is what holds it on, but is it pressed in, so all I have to do is try to tap it out? I have tapped it lightly, but it does not seem to want to move, so I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks for any help.

tsnipes

Seaman

Ok, remembered that AutoZone has a loaner tool program. Took the dizzy up to the store and they had the perfect gear puller to pull the cam off of the shaft.

So, I was able to get the electronic conversion kit installed and the distributor is back on the boat. I tried turning it over, and it actually sounded like it was trying to fire.

Now my problem is the engine is turning really slow, like the battery is dead, even on a full charge. I hooked jumper cables up to it and got no change. Also, the negative battery cable got really hot. Is this an indication of a bad ground? I feel like it is, so I need to clean all of the connections. I was going to start by taking the battery cable off of the starter and cleaning it, but as soon as I exerted a bit of pressure, the housing of the solenoid broke completely off.

So, now I am looking for a replacement part to fix that. I am starting to understand why they say B. O. A. T.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hot cables mean lots of current drawn. Take the starter motor off and have it checked. Remove the spark plugs of the engine and see it you can turn it by hand (you should be able to, not easy, but it should turn)....

Chris....

Legacy

Recruit

I owned a 1974 Airslot 16, and now own a 1975 Airslot 21 w/ a Mercruiser 5.7.

In viewing the pix of the inside of the distributor, those cam lobes are not worn. That's what they are supposed to look like. Those points are not opening sufficiently to "break" the contact (That's why they are called "breaker" points), which collapses the electric field in the primary winding of the coil, which induces the spark in the secondary winding. Replacing the points, and properly "gapping" them will cure that particular problem. The gap should be somewhere between .022" and .030", and is adjusted by loosening the allen head set screw and moving stationary point to the proper gap with the pivot poin centered on the high lobe of the cam, then tightening the set screw. The installation of the Pertronix kit would also do the trick, but if there are other issues they need to be fixed before that will have any effect. Just my $.02. Good Luck!

tsnipes

Seaman

Thanks for the reply, Legacy. I installed the electronic conversion kit before I saw your response. I am now having issues with getting the motor to turn fast enough to start. I am seeing fire at the spark plug when I pull it out, at least.

I thought I could adjust the points and move them closer to the cam, but they seemed to be moved as far in as they would go. They were at the end of the slot where the allen screw is and still would not open on the high point of the cam. Could the previous owner have bought the wrong points for that application? Just wondering.

Thanks again for your reply.