New to me 2000 Chris Craft 308 Express

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after a year without a boat I really did it this time. I Bought a boat that has been sitting untouched for 5 years. Got a great deal on it and automatic equity as soon as we get her finished. Right now her Name Is Chelsea however we are going to rename her Family Affair once we get ready to put her back in the water. I am doing an extensive overhaul on the boat and will try to document it all here. I will also have to figure out the pictures thing on this site never been good at posting any on here.
About Her
2000 Chris Craft 308 Express
Twin 5.0 GM Based engines pushing Volvo Penta DP-SM outdrives
Kohler 6500 Onboard generator (well actually it is in my garage for repairs)
AC installed (Not sure if it works yet)
Upholstery is in very good shape for the age (BUT THE WIFE wanted it redone so it is all in the shop being redone)
TV works
Microwave works
Hot plate works
refridgerator works
ice maker on deck works
water pumps work...
Everything on her works with the exception of the engines so basically I paid 5k for a floating camper to sit at the pier!!
Not quite the case I like to think i am a pretty good mechanic and there is not much that I cant figure out and if I cant there are pletny of guys on here that willingly lend a helping hand.

Engines are what seem to be froze...I just had it pulled from the water a couple days ago andf once you see the pics I know why they would not turn. My boat had its own ecosystem growing on it...Five years of salt water, no movement of any kind. I will update this more as I go.

Attachments

• photo333883.jpg
    photo333883.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Congratulations on the 'new' boat. :thumb: Not sure the automatic equity thing will pan out, with the engines needing some work, but it should make for a nice project.

Post some pictures when you can.

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SO THIS IS MY INSTANT EQUITY!!!...No really I love the boat and the sweat equity will be worth it in the end.

Attachments

• photo334038.jpg
    photo334038.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo334039.jpg
    photo334039.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334040.jpg
    photo334040.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334041.jpg
    photo334041.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334042.jpg
    photo334042.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Holy marine growth batman

Pull the drives, then try the motors. It may be the drives that are frozen

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So worked today all day to pull the engines. Got the Stbd one all tore down but the shaft is froze either in the gimbal or in the coupler. Not sure which one but the the picture of the contraption i had to make to try to get it out should explain. I used a 6 ton bottle jack and a chain attached to the universal joint..which was missing...and it will not come loose. I am going to cut it out tomorrow. I have the engine to a point where I should be able to get my sawzall in there to cut the shadft...Hope to then see what is holding it...
So I knew when i bought the boat I was going to put in alot of work for the way it was neglected but the price was really good. I am ordering two new 350's to replace the two 305's and so far it is going as planned. I removed the lower head bolts and water came gushing out...i should have took a picture but i was not thinking when it happened.. the engines are both trash so they are going to the scrap man as soon as I get the blocks out...Plan is that they are both on the ground tomorrow and I will finish the stbd transom cleanup. We shall see how it goes. Stay tuned for more pics and updates as I get stuff done.
Oh yeah one thing I learned last night is that barnacle husks are all calcium. So i bought CLR this am and spayed the remaining husks and it softens then up to make removal easier. CLR is a lighter acid that does not damage as much as other acids used...

Attachments

• photo334047.jpg
    photo334047.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 3
  • photo334048.jpg
    photo334048.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334049.jpg
    photo334049.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334050.jpg
    photo334050.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use pool acid and water, CLR will take forever

just need to neutralize after

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow - That really is a project. Was the boat free?

A couple new long blocks and hopefully you can save the outdrives. With the engines out, you should be able to get a good look at the boat's aft structure and transom.

Looking forward to watching the progress.

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow - That really is a project. Was the boat free?

A couple new long blocks and hopefully you can save the outdrives. With the engines out, you should be able to get a good look at the boat's aft structure and transom.

Looking forward to watching the progress.

Not quite free but I was already offered 5x what i paid for it after I pulled it from the water, pressure washed it and started to bring her back to life...I knew what I was getting into and with the COVID thing and not working I have nothing but time.the Navy says I cannot go to the office so I go to the marina and social distance...lol

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Three long hot days in Va putting in more sweat on this boat. I actually got both engines out and worked to pull the frozen shaft out of the gimbal bearing. It took me two full days of work to get it out but finally i did pictures will be down below. I got all my tools and stuff out of the bilge and pressure washed it down as there was alot of water in there at one time. YOu can see the water lines on the fly wheel and the bell housing so to say the bilge had water in it a few times is an under statement for sure. I have a couple people to give me an assist on whether I should replace the transom mount in the side that was frozen so not sure yet what I am going to do with that yet,. Just need a second opinion for a sanity check.

So to get the stuck shaft and gimbal bearing out I drilled holes all the way around the side case of the bearing and chipped away the inner race so I could push the shaft and inner race out together and just leave the outer race to work with. Seems as though in between the stainless outer shell the insides of the bearings are aluminum and were able to be chipped and drilled away a little at a time. I did take a picture of what was left of the bearing so everyone could see. I am sure there have been worse cases but to think a 6ton jack could not pull them apart was crazy. I still have to try to press the other half of the shaft out of the coupler but then again I may just go pick up a new one and keep this one as a trophy in my garage along with the shaft and bearing pieces.

One question I do have is the grease tube to grease up the gimbal bearing did not have a zirc fitting..Is this the way it was designed? What actually goes in there other than grease? The shop owner at the marina said mercruisers are sealed and do not need to be greased..but I was wondering if they put a sealed bearing and could not grease it why the tube is just left open to the water and salt water at that?

Tomorrow is golf day and plan to put a coat of primer on later in the evening after my son finishes with his duties of sanding. He got half done today but he has been slack all week up to today. I planned to have the bottom painted by now and be working on the gel coat refinish.

enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• photo334280.jpg
    photo334280.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo334281.jpg
    photo334281.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo334282.jpg
    photo334282.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo334282.jpg
    photo334282.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo334283.jpg
    photo334283.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334284.jpg
    photo334284.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo334285.jpg
    photo334285.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It has been a long two months on the hard and lots of work going on. So I got two new long blocks from some place in Jersey and they both showed up with letter that they were remaned in Mexico. Hell I dont care I got two long blocks and been busy ever since. The biggest issue with all of this has been the money I have spent on bolts and nuts to rebuild. WHo would have thought how expensive hardened nuts and bolts would be or the issue with find them. Fastenal is a joke and they have to order everything in. There is a place in Chesapeake Va that I would tell anyone to go to for any nut, bolt, ort ayu other fastener needed for anything...American Maintenance Suppliers has been a god send it is a hot mess but they have any and everything you need and even thing you dont...Anyway.. I got new manifolds and risers and am on the last day before I try to start it up. It has been a long hard run in the Va heat but I am certain to be on the water next week. I will post pictures soon.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, agreed on the cost of hardware and fasteners. You don't really think about it and then look back at what it cost . . . :eek::faint2:

BoltDepot.com is local to me, so I can either do a 'Will Call' order or have the package next day. I've only used Fastenal once and lucked out in that they had what I needed in stock :thumb:

I'd break in those engines really well . . . reman's can be hit-or-miss. Were the flywheel housings from the old engines salvageable?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm amazed those drives cleaned up as well as they did being that they were about the worst I have ever seen!
Suggestion:
you will need to split the drives (upper and lower housings) and clean out the water intake passage area because all that stuff growing on the outside, I bet is also on the inside! That would cause low raw water flow and overheat your new engines.
I give you credit for taking on such a project. That takes real determination!

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm amazed those drives cleaned up as well as they did being that they were about the worst I have ever seen!
Suggestion:
you will need to split the drives (upper and lower housings) and clean out the water intake passage area because all that stuff growing on the outside, I bet is also on the inside! That would cause low raw water flow and overheat your new engines.
I give you credit for taking on such a project. That takes real determination!

Thanks...I did not think about that to check the lower and upper housings. Luckily i am not back in the water yet but close just finishing up and tracking down a fuel pump issue..On the other hand I am in the Navy and on shore duty so there was not alot of work for me to do since Mar 18..only worked 30 days since then and been at the boat every day since I bought it and they kicked us out of the office. I planned to drop it back in the water this weekend and go for a cruise as soon as I get this damn ghost problem figured out.

Just thought about it when I read the post again...The water intake on these is on the top and run through a hose underneath the cap/helmet of the outdrive. I already replaced that when i was waiting for engines to be delivered. I actually pollished the prop blades last week with brass wheel they look even better now. I will remember to take more pics and post them before I drop it back in the water.
Thanks
Joe

joelewis73

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, agreed on the cost of hardware and fasteners. You don't really think about it and then look back at what it cost . . . :eek::faint2:

BoltDepot.com is local to me, so I can either do a 'Will Call' order or have the package next day. I've only used Fastenal once and lucked out in that they had what I needed in stock :thumb:

I'd break in those engines really well . . . reman's can be hit-or-miss. Were the flywheel housings from the old engines salvageable?
\
I plan to run them on a hose for an hour or so before I drop it back in the water. Then I am going to follow the detailed instructions I recieved with the engines for breakin and do what I can at the dock before I venture out. Still have a few things left I am working with right now but am almost ready to be waterbourne again.
Thanks
Joe