New-To- Me 1972 Starcraft 18' Mariner-V... Thoughts?

thill

Seaman Apprentice
Thinking about it, it probably makes more sense just leaving them together. Many who responded have a 16, others have the 18, and a few a 14 or 21. Either way, it's the same group of Starcraft people, a fairly small group at that. And the boats are so similar that any thoughts and ideas I get will apply to both boats.

thill

Seaman Apprentice
I just came home with some ridiculously expensive plywood and bolts for the transom. MAN, inflation is vicious for hardware and wood.

I think I'm going to get all the bolts in first. I'll probably save the plywood work until tomorrow, but we'll see...

thill

Seaman Apprentice
Got my bolts through the transom and everything is absolutely rock-solid. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

One issue is that the engine pad on the outside is too small for the Evinrude 48 SPL that I've been thinking of using, and this transom has never been drilled. I have a 35 HP Suzuki, a really nice engine that is clamp-on like the original 25, so I need to think it out before proceeding.

Any thoughts out there on how a 35 HP will push a 16 Mariner-V?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Got my bolts through the transom and everything is absolutely rock-solid. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

One issue is that the engine pad on the outside is too small for the Evinrude 48 SPL that I've been thinking of using, and this transom has never been drilled. I have a 35 HP Suzuki, a really nice engine that is clamp-on like the original 25, so I need to think it out before proceeding.

Any thoughts out there on how a 35 HP will push a 16 Mariner-V?
I put 1/8 or 1/4 aluminum instead of plywood pad.
35hp will be fine and should plane you out, however if you plan on having more than light gear and 2 people onboard, I’d go 50hp minimum.
My brother moved from a 35hp on his 16 foot to a 60hp. He couldn’t believe the fuel economy difference. Power equates to fuel economy. He had to push the 35 hard everywhere he went, but The 60 planes out quickly and efficiently and has to work a whole lot less than the 35 in cruise mode.
The other factor is you always want more than what you need in case of emergency situations. If you get swamped or dealing with heavy winds and bad weather, waves etc. I believe that boat should be rated for around 80 to 90 hp. (EDIT) sorry it’s probably rated higher being 18 foot. My guess is 120 hp or so. Both my brother and I run 16 foot Supersports and they are rated at 85 hp. So considering the Standard formula of length x width x helm position, 35 hp is grossly under powered

thill

Seaman Apprentice
efficiently!

not sure I understand about the outside pad being too small?
The pad is smaller than the transom plate of the motor. So the motor sticks down below it. I decided to just replace the pad, regardless of what motor I use. A new one looks better anyway.

I put 1/8 or 1/4 aluminum instead of plywood pad.
35hp will be fine and should plane you out, however if you plan on having more than light gear and 2 people onboard, I’d go 50hp minimum.
My brother moved from a 35hp on his 16 foot to a 60hp. He couldn’t believe the fuel economy difference. Power equates to fuel economy. He had to push the 35 hard everywhere he went, but The 60 planes out quickly and efficiently and has to work a whole lot less than the 35 in cruise mode.
The other factor is you always want more than what you need in case of emergency situations. If you get swamped or dealing with heavy winds and bad weather, waves etc. I believe that boat should be rated for around 80 to 90 hp. (EDIT) sorry it’s probably rated higher being 18 foot. My guess is 120 hp or so. Both my brother and I run 16 foot Supersports and they are rated at 85 hp. So considering the Standard formula of length x width x helm position, 35 hp is grossly under powered
Thanks for sharing that experience. I put a 50 Evinrude on my 16 Princecraft, and the difference is like night and day. Now, at 25 mph cruising speed, you can barely hear the motor. Look at this short vidoe clip:

I like the aluminum idea, but I've already made up the new transom pad.

FWIW, this particular boat has a 50 HP MAX. It doesn't have the full transom like the 18 or the latter years, so it's more of a construction thing rather than a floatation thing.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
The pad is smaller than the transom plate of the motor. So the motor sticks down below it. I decided to just replace the pad, regardless of what motor I use. A new one looks better anyway.

Thanks for sharing that experience. I put a 50 Evinrude on my 16 Princecraft, and the difference is like night and day. Now, at 25 mph cruising speed, you can barely hear the motor. Look at this short vidoe clip:

I like the aluminum idea, but I've already made up the new transom pad.

FWIW, this particular boat has a 50 HP MAX. It doesn't have the full transom like the 18 or the latter years, so it's more of a construction thing rather than a floatation thing.
Wow, I’m surprised at such a low rating for an 18’ boat. Perhaps because the helm is further to the rear. I believe the more forward the helm is, the larger you can go with a motor(?) perhaps a pro will weigh in. And maybe an earlier poster figured 35hp is plenty (?)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Wow, I’m surprised at such a low rating for an 18’ boat. Perhaps because the helm is further to the rear. I believe the more forward the helm is, the larger you can go with a motor(?) perhaps a pro will weigh in. And maybe an earlier poster figured 35hp is plenty (?)
he's moved to a 16 in the same thread.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok on the pad thats what I thought you were talking about and wondering why not just make it bigger.

I have a merc now but grew up omc and to me the 2 and 3 cyl form 48 to 75 were awesome so I'd do that.

thill

Seaman Apprentice
I apologize to you... It's my fault, as I switched gears to the 16 Mariner V. The 18 is rated for 135. The 16 is only rated for a 50.

thill

Seaman Apprentice
I forgot to attach the clip of the Evinrude 50 and how quiet and smooth it is at cruising speed of 25-30. Here it is: