new to me 1970 Johnson 25hp tiller short shaft. locked up

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????-----The 22 cubic inch was last marketed in 1976.-----So no 1981 pistons do not fit.----Not even close.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay! I took a chance and bought another 25hp Johnson off of fb marketplace. This one is a 73 model. Add said it had a fuel problem but I picked the motor up from the guys father who told me it had a spark problem. The head has been removed and I can turn the flywheel using two hands. The electric starter and bracket are there so that alone was worth the price of 150. The carb is off but still assembled. Thats all I know about it so far. came home late and unloaded it to garage. Still have not gotten the orig block back from machine shop. Have decided the pistons are too far gone to re-use. rings are welded to the grooves. With the amount of scarring on the pistons it looks like it was run without the correct fuel oil mixture.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Roadking57...you are a patient man :) some many good running oldies out there :) but.....

"Patience brings joy" said the cookie

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some of the 22 cubic inch motors ----18 / 20 / 25 HP built from 1957 to 1976 will be running long after some modern motors are landfill.-----The average human being can repair a carburetor / replace points / coils / and the simple gear boxes for mere little beer tokens.-----No need for $600 fuel injectors or $1000 ECU units .----Or $100 / hr rental mechanics !!

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
nothing like a 6 blade shaver ....
but you must admit fish prefer to viva in clean aqua :)

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally got the original block back from the machine shop! Looks great! Havent had a chance to do anything with it yet

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
yes until you click order, then 2 places I tried showed 2026 delivery!!!
I do not know how you are getting a 2026 delivery on an NLA piston. A little more looking on your part. I can't put the website up because it is a competitor. they say 10+ in stock have found them to be quite on top of their inventory.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do not know how you are getting a 2026 delivery on an NLA piston. A little more looking on your part. I can't put the website up because it is a competitor. they say 10+ in stock have found them to be quite on top of their inventory.
Im not sure excatly which website your viewing, but I too saw the little green wording saying 10+ in stock. until you put your credit card number in there and hit the buy button you wont see the delivery date. Trust me I aint done looking/researching by no means. I will not give up. But when I find a place that has what I need I'll be sure and post where I attained parts.

Roadking57

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update! The '73 I bought has been taken apart with no one who can verify why it the head was removed. All the bolts holding anything together have been lost! :-( All the headbolts, the 15 side cover bolts, the carb, rope starter bolts every bolt gone. Crazy was given a parts bag that was supposed to have all stuff in it. Guy I bought it from Dad delivered it to me as the son was out on a trip. I think I can get away with grade 5 bolts from hardware store.

This post is getting too long. After I get the '73 apart more I will start a new thread with pictures. Also building a new engine stand for it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just plain stainless bolts will do.-----It may be tricky to find bolts with correct length of threads.-----Just match them up.