New to forum

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. Just got this project boat that my father in law and I working on. It's an 81 Chaparral 187 with a Merc 898. It set in the mud for a while when the lake was down and it had collapsed motor mounts, but the price was right so we jumped on it. Found this forum and its been a great resource so far. I know everyone like pictures so thought I'd share some of the progress made. We got the engine removed. The flooring cutout and good portion of the interior removed. Progress has been a little slow because we are very new to this.

Attachments

• DSCN0906.jpg
    DSCN0906.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0907.jpg
    DSCN0907.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0909.jpg
    DSCN0909.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0910.jpg
    DSCN0910.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0914.jpg
    DSCN0914.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to forum

Adding more pics

Attachments

• DSCN0915.jpg
    DSCN0915.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0918.jpg
    DSCN0918.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0919.jpg
    DSCN0919.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0927.jpg
    DSCN0927.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0928.jpg
    DSCN0928.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and the final ones

Attachments

• DSCN0928.jpg
    DSCN0928.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0929.jpg
    DSCN0929.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys. Just got this project boat that my father in law and I working on. It's an 81 Chaparral 187 with a Merc 898. It set in the mud for a while when the lake was down and it had collapsed motor mounts, but the price was right so we jumped on it. Found this forum and its been a great resource so far. I know everyone like pictures so thought I'd share some of the progress made. We got the engine removed. The flooring cutout and good portion of the interior removed. Progress has been a little slow because we are very new to this.
Your starting out on the right track already with posting the pic's:D

Slow is better than NO, I started mine almost a year ago and should have finished it twice by now but I still have a ways to go. Everyone was new at some point and time in their lives, I bet all the old timers wish this site existed back in the days when they where green.

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your starting out on the right track already with posting the pic's:D

Slow is better than NO, I started mine almost a year ago and should have finished it twice by now but I still have a ways to go. Everyone was new at some point and time in their lives, I bet all the old timers wish this site existed back in the days when they where green.

I agree. Slow is better. We'd like to do it right the first time. I'm actually enjoying the work more than I thought I would, but that's probably because I want a boat so bad. Bad day on the water is better than...pretty much everything else.

A bit about the project. When we started digging into the collapsed motor mounts we decided the flooring needed replaced also. Of course that means we found some rot in the stringers. Surprisingly and thankfully the transom looks solid. Especially since we hear it had a bunch of water in it for a while. Now the foam has some good spots and some wet spots. Anyone got any opinions on digging out and replacing just the wet spots? Thanks....

erikgreen

Captain

Unfortunately the right answer is the hard one.. take it all out and replace if you want to. You might get all the wet out if you remove the wet spots, but are you willing to risk missing some water (maybe a wet bubble in the middle of apparently "dry" foam) and starting the rot all over again?

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunately the right answer is the hard one.. take it all out and replace if you want to. You might get all the wet out if you remove the wet spots, but are you willing to risk missing some water (maybe a wet bubble in the middle of apparently "dry" foam) and starting the rot all over again?
I agree, don't take short cuts, do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it no more.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You definitely have a project on your hands but that's a nice looking and very sturdy looking boat. Good powerplant too. Good luck with it.