New to Forum / Question

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just joined the forum, and as all "newbies" find, the information here is priceless. I am currently putting a transom in a 1978 model Livingston Pacific skiff. I intend to use the Nida Bond pourable poly/ceramic transom for the re-core. The infor I've obtainned here has made the job a whole lot easier and really "zipped" the learning curve.

I am very curious though; is there any kind of "electronic" devise, similar to the medical Ultrasound process, that can determine the density of a transom core or stringer. It sure could save a lot of time and money if one could determine the condition of a boat BEFORE buying it. 'Cause as you all know every used boat out there is "in perfect structural condition" according to the current owner. Even if one had to pay to have a boat tested, it would probably be cheaper in the long run. I'm trying to debunk the addage that "the cheapest boats always turn out to be the most expensive".

Anyway, hope to have the reconstruction done on my boat in a couple of weeks, and get the transom poured.

Coho Ghost,

up in Washington state

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New to Forum / Question

Welcome to iboats....... and NO..... no shortcut since every transom is constructed differently....... thickness of wood, fiberglass....etc.

Now on a newer boat that cost real money..... hire a person to do a marine survey.