NEW TO BOATING

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
If you havent draged the boat to the mechainc yet.......They wont touch it with auto carb on it...... They will know by just looking at it and charge you 1 hr labor to tell you this. Just passing on a word of expereince.

xStefanox

Cadet
So I had my mechanic friend take the carb off and go through it. He found a " ventchuri" ( sorry about spelling) was plugged up. He disassembled everything and cleaned it up, put the original parts back in, and put a NEW gasket on. We had it running all good at the shop ,so decided to take it out on the lake. Well it started fine , idled great,and when I went into gear it seemed natural. To make a long story short. I gave it gas (gradually) and speed and rps were good. I got the boat up to 42kms and it died on me and we kept smelling fuel. Fired it up again and it did the same thing. Get up to speed and die. Only I couldn't get the boat started cuz I killed my battery. What would cause my boat to do this?
I'm so lost

xStefanox

Cadet
Hey everyone. Could really use some good knowledge here. Anyhow I have a 1991 21' Sunray Prelude with a 230 V/8. I was having issues with my carburetor in a previous thread. And now to conclude the observation what we found causing my boat to bog and pop through the carb at wot , was the carb itself. I brought the boat to a friend of mine and we took apart the carburetor and cleaned up its components within. We found a ventchuri (sorry about spelling) was plugged and we figured we solved the problem. We put the carb together and put it back on my boat and ran a hose to the muffs .it was running brautiful. Idling perfect and going into gear as it should. IT was running so good that I brought it to the lake. I got it in the lake and everything was a dram. Running idling and going into gear like it came out the showroom. As I'm full throttle, I can feel the motor in a sense cleaning g itself out , and was soon picking up speed. As I'm full throttle and doing about 45 km , my motor dies so I sit and fire it back up. We'll I carried on and again went full throttle and the motor dies. No popping no chugging from the motor, it just dies. I let it sit for a secondo and try to start it, but it wouldn't start. I kept trying and trying to the point that I killed my battery and was stranded out in the lake, waiting for any passers-by. Yesterday I had ordered a COMPLETE carb kit and I sent my carb in to have redone. I also noticed on threads and Web search about epoxy the Wells of the carb to prevent flooding of the motor. I do want to say that when my boat died , we did smell Alot of gas , and was wondering g if this would be the culprit. Am I on the right track to rebuilding this carburetor or is this only part of my problem?
Sincerely
Lost?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

Hard to take a day like yours. Thinking you had it whooped, only to have it bite back and leave you walkin. Feel for you.

Tough questions to answer on your carb from the perspective that is far from your carburetor. It is hard to know if leaking wells is the problem, but is fairly easy to seal up the bottoms of the wells. Don posted a great picture back when, see if I can link it here. Epoxy away, be a decent way to be sure of it.

Attachments

• photo228282.jpg
    photo228282.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0

xStefanox

Cadet
So I got the carburetor back from the shop. Installed it and ran it in the driveway. Sounded fantastic ! Brought it to the lake and I couldn't get over 20km at full throttle. If I ease off , it seems like it could climb in mph but it doesn't! I'm so lost and now back at square 1. So I have new carb new plugs and wires and mechanic said that the cap and rotor looks to be good. Please help me . Somebody , anybody

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Good that the carb is most likely off the list. So start at the beginning -

1) fuel - you already went through all that with filters and clean fuel and rebuilt carb.

2) ignition - new plugs, wires, rotor, cap. Did you set the timing exactly as the book states? And then did you run the timing light to see if the advance is working properly when the engine is accelerated?

3) compression check.
(just bought my son a '92 F150 with a 300 c.i. fuel injected inline 6. 137,000 miles. One of the tests I just got finished running on it tonight was a compression test. It's a PITA to do, but it also tells me pretty much exactly how good the rings are with an old motor - they were all between 115 and 125 psi, not bad for the age)

4) vacuum test - This one is also simple and easy to do and tells us LOADS about how the engine is doing and whether there is anything mechanically wrong with it.

Those are the basics of engine diagnostics. There are a number of other tests, but the above tests are inexpensive and simple to do and tell us more about the quality of the hidden mechanical parts and how they are working than just about anything else and can catch mis-adjustments which prevent the engine from running properly. The tools can almost always be rented from auto parts stores and the knowledge of how to run the tests is easily gotten from videos, manuals or here on the forum.

You'll get this. It is happening.

Rick

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Don't remember if this was mentioned yet, but check and double check your plug wires are going to the right places. I've seen many posts where this was a problem on those engines with all them damn cylinders. Pretty obvious on mine if I'm not firing 2 cylinders, less so on yours...
Otherwise, what Rick said

xStefanox

Cadet
I think if I had the wires not on correctly, I don't think it would idle as good as it does. Out of the water I can run it without any problems at all. It's when I put load on it, that it doesn't go anywhere. It seems to me that when I give it full throttle, the motor wants to go but it starts to bog and almost as if the carburetor starves for fuel and dies or it gets too much fuel and dies. The carburetor was just taken apart and had all new parts in it. I think I'm going to take a look at the fuel pump and sending unit, and possibly look at the cap and rotor. I just wish I could have a mechanic come out with me on the water, and this way he can see with his own eyes and determine what the problem is. I think it's time to bring it to someone that knows their stuff and let them fix it. I don't think it could be too much. Just frustrating

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I think if I had the wires not on correctly, I don't think it would idle as good as it does. Out of the water I can run it without any problems at all. It's when I put load on it, that it doesn't go anywhere. It seems to me that when I give it full throttle, the motor wants to go but it starts to bog and almost as if the carburetor starves for fuel and dies or it gets too much fuel and dies. The carburetor was just taken apart and had all new parts in it. I think I'm going to take a look at the fuel pump and sending unit, and possibly look at the cap and rotor. I just wish I could have a mechanic come out with me on the water, and this way he can see with his own eyes and determine what the problem is. I think it's time to bring it to someone that knows their stuff and let them fix it. I don't think it could be too much. Just frustrating

Checking your plug wires is easy & free. I've fixed many a vehicles in my day that ran almost perfect, but not quite & it was nothing more than crossed wires. Good luck & hang in there, you'll get it figured out. Jim.