New to boating and happy about it

pilotmanmk11

Cadet
Hi to everyone, I am new to boating in general and happy to be part of this wonderful group. I found this site yesterday and the only complaint I have is i don't get things done at work. Anyway I have always wanted a boat and not having a lot of my own money I decided to build a boat and use my awesome woodworking skills. I was talking to my cousin about it and asking him if he had some rough cut lumber on his farm along with trailer parts I would need for the trailer he said he had just what I needed. He told me he had an old boat trailer that has been on the farm since I was little and told me o could have it as long as I took everything attached to it. Well I no longer have to build a boat because the trailer came with a boat. I now have a 16ft fiberglass Tri Hull Starcraft. I am unsure of the model at this moment because I don't have the boat right now, I still need to pick it up. It is not the prettiest boat but i have always wanted a boat and I love fixing things up.

Like I said the boat is a 16 ft fiberglass Tri Hull Starcraft with a 25 horse Chrysler outboard. It has a rounded bow and also has a built in live well. It has nothing on the inside (was gutted to be fixed but not finished).

I am a college student with alot of time during the year, after I do my Homework of course. I want to fix it up for a fishing/cruiser/all round boat. I don't have a lot of extra cash, because I'm in college but can get things I need, I pretty Thrifty. I have access to people who know engines and any tools I need. I am a very hardworking and really mechanical and a jack of all trades. I have no problem with this project and glad i have all you for help. I have no pics at the moment but will keep you all posted on my progress. I thank you all in advance for any input and reading the novel i just wrote. I am just really excited to get started on something I have always wanted to do.

As far as now I am working on making sure I can get the boat registered in WI or IA without a title or registration papers. But thanks to one of the people on here I already have that covered.

Now One question that I have is what to do to the inside of the boat. Should I return it to the original form with bench seats or should i make it my own. Any input on what the interior should look like?

Thanks again,
excited boater

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: New to boating and happy about it

First of all a big hearty WELCOME ABOARD..

Be carefull about not getting any work done @ work, kinda need a couple bucks for what your are about to get into!:p

Glad it's a Starcraft, there are a LOT of us here, though 90% of us own tin
can Starcrafts...

Was she covered? you may have a lot of water damage being out in the elements, make sure you check back where the engine hangs (aka "transom") for weak spots, rot and basic bad stuff....

You can use the "search" tool (it's up under where it says "Welcome pilotman....) type in "deck replacement" or whatever you are looking for. If you do not find it...post a question here or better yet, start a restoration thread and one last thing..PICS, lots of pics,,,ugly just dragged her home pics, all the way to your first launch as a proud boat owner...

Good Luck

Make it your own, it's your boat now!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats, pilotmanmk11!! Great to have you here and you most definately came to the right place! I agree with everything just stated above by Kev, so go reread his post! ;) Before you get too far on anything be sure to check your deck (floor) and transom for soft spots. If it is anything less than rock hard, you should plan on replacing both. It's not necessarily fun but you'll be alot better off doing it now than later. Will save you some grief down the road. If they are rock solid, Great! But I would have my doubts due to the age of the boat and especially if it was uncovered outside.

On the layout, it's your boat! You do the interior however strikes your fancy! Thats the beauty of a complete resto IMHO. You can take it back to the original state, or you can totally customize it to suit your taste! Do it YOUR WAY!!!

And....GUD LUCK!!

pilotmanmk11

Cadet

I don't think it ever had a floor just bench seats as far as the transom i'm unsure about right now i will find out at the end of July when I go back up north

Andy in NY

Commander

It most likely has a floor (actually called a deck). Usually the only boats that dont have them are jon boats.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to i boats...:)

we can walk you right thru this......but start saving (or investing) your pennys....it aint gonna be cheap !

but lets see the pics first....and we can go from there.....

cheers
oops

pilotmanmk11

Cadet

Well I am trying to post pics but am still having trouble. I will get that worked out then post my pics