New Teleflex shifter rigged backwards @#$%&

z284u2try

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New Teleflex shifter rigged backwards @#$%&

Please tell me this shop is not around richmond va?

rv8tor

Cadet

No, actually it's not. The funny thing is though, they actually had the tension and cables set very nicely so there was no chattering at all when you did go into gear. It was simply hooked up to the wrong side.

I went to this dealer here in Florida and although they re-rigged the cable to the proper side, there are still problems. They even promised me that the rigging was done properly with no chattering. The very first time I put it back in the water to check it out, it moved smoothly into reverse, but stayed in idle reverse when shift lever was brought back to the neutral detent. I had to go a bit forward out of the detent to pull it out of reverse. The forward gear has waaaaay too much chattering and requires the shift lever approxiamately 70 degrees angle of forward throw to engage the forward gear and then you are right into throttle movement.

This might be my first boat but this doesn't seem right to me that is for sure! My plan now is to take the boat back to the Florida shop for adjustment on Saturday morning before I have to hit the road and head back to Virginia.

This is pretty frustrating stuff!:confused:

BTW, it's now 11:45 pm on New Year's Eve and the ball is about to drop here on the East Coast. Happy New Year everyone!:cool:

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is pretty frustrating stuff!:confused:

BTW, it's now 11:45 pm on New Year's Eve and the ball is about to drop here on the East Coast. Happy New Year everyone!:cool:

Welcome to boating!

Happy New Year!

Let us know how it gets resolved...I think you should tell the VA shop that they kind of put you in danger leaving the shifter out of sorts....

rv8tor

Cadet

I will let you all know how this ultimately turns out. I plan to be sitting outside the shop in Lantana in the morning when they open for business. I will be hovering over them while they get on it, to make sure all is good.

...and I plan to be nice....I hope..

rv8tor

Cadet

Okay,... I went into the Lantana shop and these guys were very sharp and professional. They rechecked the measurements for the upper shift cable and all was good. I explained to them what was happening and upon closer inspection we all discovered that it was the lower drive shift cable that was causing all the problems.

So these guys did what they could to tighten things up but wound up right where it is supposed to be. Basically, I need to change out my lower cable.

The VA shop had said there was no problem with the lower cable, probably because they saw no issues with shifting with the cable hooked up wrong. And quite frankly the shifting was pretty smooth when it was rigged in reverse order. I guess now with the cable where it is supposed to be, the lower cable issue can now rear it's ugly head.

I'll just have the VA shop install the deadman switch and get refunded for my troubles in Florida, and then either replace this lower cable ( and probably bellows as well) myself or get another shop to do it in the Spring.

I was a bit imtimidated with fooling around with the expensive shifter box with all it's electronics and all, but I am considering doing the "bellows job" myself. I realize the rear drive comes off, but I do have a SELOC manual to help.

What do you think guys? Am I crazy for considering doing this myself, or is this do-able for someone who can turn a few wrenches?:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I realize the rear drive comes off, but I do have a SELOC manual to help.

That's not a help, that could cause you even more problems. Go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum and download the OEM service manual (#14 is the one you want) for your outdrive, and do it right the first time.
If you have questions, come here, not the Seloc.