New suntracker throttle problem

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up my new 20' party barge last Saturday and took it out Sunday. I have a 90HP mercury 4 stroke. The handle that you use to control the motor speed and direction (not sure the proper name for it) has a button on the side that you press in to rev the motor but not engage the drive. When I tried to use this to warm up the motor before backing off the trailer it did not change the rpm of the motor above the idle rpm. When I used it normally it worked as it should all day. Anyone have this happen before? And have an idea of a fix? Will take it back to dealer if needed but if it's something simple I'll do it myself and save the hassle.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I have no idea what controller you have or how it operates, but I can tell you how mine works. Yours might be completely different, I don't know.

Here goes...
When I want to start my engine there's a big button in the center of the controller that I press and hold while I move the handle forward. This enables neutral. Once the handle is moved forward I can let go of the button. It stays pressed on it's own.
Now I can start my engine and rev it if need be. It will be in neutral until the handle is returned to center where the button will pop back out.
Hope this helps or makes sense.

Oh, you mentioned warming up the motor while on the trailer. I hope the motor is in the water when running it. I just wanted to make sure....

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
I'll get eyes on it t today and check the make but I believe it's a mercury throttle and I think it works the same way, on the side of the handle at the bottom there's a black button it pressed in and I moved the handle forward the button stayed in but the rpm's didn't increase as I moved it forward, when I pulled it back to center it popped back out and then worked as it should the rest of the day. And yes the motor was in the water.
The engine was already running before I pushed the button and moved it forward to try and increase the rpm's.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I'll get eyes on it t today and check the make but I believe it's a mercury throttle and I think it works the same way, on the side of the handle at the bottom there's a black button it pressed in and I moved the handle forward the button stayed in but the rpm's didn't increase as I moved it forward, when I pulled it back to center it popped back out and then worked as it should the rest of the day. And yes the motor was in the water.
The engine was already running before I pushed the button and moved it forward to try and increase the rpm's.
That's very strange.
The button is pushed in and the handle forward doesn't enable you to increase the rpms in neutral.
I have no idea.
How are you starting it? With the handle centered?
Maybe that's the way it is with modern fuel injection?
But you should still be able to rev it a bit if needed.
I hoped someone more knowledgeable would have chimed in by now.
Is this the way it's supposed to be?
Maybe the newer systems with fuel injection are different than my carburetor engine?

Have you called the dealer and ask for an explanation?
They should have run the boat and gone through every aspect before you took possession.
Give them a quick call.

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
I talked to them yesterday and they told me to bring it in but couldn't think of a reason why it would work fine when in gear but not when out of gear. I'm taking it out again Saturday and do a little more testing maybe it's ME.
Thanks for the responses

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I talked to them yesterday and they told me to bring it in but couldn't think of a reason why it would work fine when in gear but not when out of gear. I'm taking it out again Saturday and do a little more testing maybe it's ME.
Thanks for the responses
Hope it works out.
Report back to let us know if everything is ok or you need more help.
Plus, it may give others with similar problems some guidance.

Reactions: T/O

T/O

Seaman Apprentice
It's ME
I tried again and it worked as it should I didn't push it far enough forward the last time. My last boat was a bow rider with an inboard/outboard and the throttle was really easy to move, this one is much stiffer but it's new and the other one was 20 years old. Like they say you can't fix Stupid.
Thanks for the help

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
It's ME
I tried again and it worked as it should I didn't push it far enough forward the last time. My last boat was a bow rider with an inboard/outboard and the throttle was really easy to move, this one is much stiffer but it's new and the other one was 20 years old. Like they say you can't fix Stupid.
Thanks for the help
Glad you figured it out.
Don't beat yourself up. You just need to get used to something a little different.
Enjoy your new boat!