New Spinning Reel Opinions

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
Im Looking at a new spinning reel for my 6'6" medium light rod. Has anyone tried the Shimano Symetre 2500 Series. If so Please Pst your Opinions.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Adam

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: New Spinning Reel Opinions

No, I have never seen one.<br /><br />I dont know why people seem to think they have to spend so much money for reels. I guess Im just cheap. :confused: <br /><br />I have gone to using the Quantum Snapshot SS3 series reels for my spinning reals, they are smooth, balanced well and are around $20.00.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I break the cheap one's in about a season, or they just start working really crappy and I throw them out. I spent about $60 (I think) on a Penn Captiva last year and so far it seems solid. The only negative thing that I've noticed about this one and allot of the new spinning reels is that the spool is longer and narrower than my old Mitchell 300's. With the long, narrow spool I seem to get tangled up more often. Or maybe I just need to get used to it. And as far as poles are concerned, Ugly Sticks are a great deal at $30.

LubeDude

Admiral

How do you "Break" a reel. I have been fishing for over fifty years and have yet do do anything but wear them out. I use all my "Cheap" reels in my guide service, everyone thinks they are great, they get a real workout and have yet to have one break, fall apart or cause any trouble at all.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I just purchased one of these. It will be mated to a 6' 8" Avid St Croix. Outside of how smooth it feels, out of the box, will not be able to report to the end of the coming season. <br /><br />This is my "expierment" to see if high price rod/reels are any better than the $40-50 ones, I normally get. The book prices on these are higher than I would even spend for an expierment. My sons employee discount puts them back closer to a more reasonable level. :D <br /><br />BTW, I will also be able to compare to my son's even higher end rod/reel. He went for the St Croix Walleye Rod (same exact length/action/power) with a Shimano StradicMgF!

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

I really like the idea of the rear drag with the additional fighting drag.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I bought a Stradic 2500 last year from Bass Pro with gift card and I'm thrilled with the performance over my older ones. I thought I knew what smooth was until I took this one fishing. I haven't regretted buying it once. <br /><br />One thing I can tell you from working on reels is to stay away from the bells and whistles and the rear drag system is a bell and whistle. It creates additional access points for debris, adds more parts to the reel and makes no improvements on an existing system. Set your drag based on your line weight prior to fishing. When you're fighting a fish, you should not have to be fighting your reel too. ;) <br /><br />-Even if you decide to go with a cheaper reel, stick with Shimano. I've delt with nearly all of the service departments and Shimano is far and away the most helpful, ecucated and friendly.<br /><br /><br />spot's 2 cents

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I bought my son a Shimano Symetre 2500 and a 7' Shimano rod for Christmas. I'm not a spinning guy but it works great! He was amazed at how far he was casting. <br /><br />Extremly smooth reel. Very nice.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> How do you "Break" a reel. I have been fishing for over fifty years and have yet do do anything but wear them out. I use all my "Cheap" reels in my guide service, everyone thinks they are great, they get a real workout and have yet to have one break, fall apart or cause any trouble at all.
I'm pretty talented.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Take a look at a Daiwa Capricorn 2500 spinning reel. I have one and it is the best spinning reel I have ever owned. Retail about 130$<br /><br />In my humble opinion, The quality rods and reels give FAR superior performance than the run of the mill wallyworld stuff. I'll never go back to the cheap stuff. Guys will spend tens of thousands on bass boats and motors, then go to wall mart and pick up their rods and reels, and also ***** about paying a buck more for baits that work. I just dont see the logic?? I pay more for line then some of you guys do for your reels.<br /><br />To each his own I guess. My fishing experiences have been better by a long shot since I saw the light and started to use quality equipment. Another benefit is the fact that I will be able to enjoy these rigs for many, many years to come.

Pony

Rear Admiral

The smoothest reel I have bought recently, and the one that is quickly becoming my favorite......Shakespeare Intrepid

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have a Penn 420ss, which hasnt been in production for years (all metal)........its pretty much flawless.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How do you "Break" a reel. I have been fishing for over fifty years and have yet do do anything but wear them out
Do stripped gears count as broken or worn out? If you consider them broken then I've broke a few in my days. :)

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey the Symetre, or get the biomaster from japan. I have a 2500 Symetre and its a great reel, smooth drag and smooth motions.