New Soundproofing Foam-Insulation

Saline Marina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have a Four Winns 170 Horizon, 2000 model year. The green foam (sound deadener, etc) underneath the engine cover is starting to flake (etc) into little green flakes and dust I find all over. I'm OK with having to replace it, just have no idea what material(s) I should be looking for or some websites, suggestions, etc.

The dust is OK but I really don't like the idea this stuff is probably being sucked into the flame arrestor....

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The best material to stop sound from travelling through the engine cover is a heavy mat or sound dampening rubber that you can find in many auto sound shops. It's 1/8-1/4" thick. Basically in is just adding mass and vibration dampener to the glass on the cover. Next best, and can be put over top the dampening mat is a compacted rock wool mat that stops sound from travelling through it some but really does a good job stopping sound from reflecting. It's about 1/2-3/4" thick. Both of those would stop sound better than a foam. The rock wool also keeps the heat out, which is the best part about the original foam.
Getting the old foam off is a bit tricky.