New Seamax 380 Heavy Duty

Marqui

Cadet
Hello everyone,

Just bought a new Seamax Ocean 380T Heavy duty sib. Primary reason for getting a sib was for scuba diving around the province (Manitoba), and since we own a motor home I did not want something that I needed to trailer launch as many places do not have a boat launch. My wife and I were actually looking at the 430 but after trying to handle it on our own, we decided on the 380 even though it is a little tight for 4 scuba divers. The heavy duty boats are quite heavier than their regular boats (211lbs compared to 176lbs for the regular boat). Went for the heavy duty because of the scuba gear and extra abuse.

So far I have not been too lucky with the motor, a 1977 25 hp evinrude 2 stroker that my father in law had at the cottage, and was not being used anymore. It has been sitting for a while. Our first outing, four of us in the boat, just going out for a test on the Red River, and about a kilometer into the ride the engine conked out us. Luckily I was able to restart the motor and after couple more stalls was able to make it back to the launch site.
Second time out, after a carb rebuild, new plugs, and new fuel, did an hour ride and everything seemed fine. Managed 36kph on the gps with four of us in the boat. (I?m 235lbs, my wife is ***lbs, my 16 year old daughter ***lbs, and my 13 year old son 150lbs, for a total of 680lbs and that?s if we are all naked.) Got up on a plane relatively easy, but did notice a disconcerting bulging in the floor as if a pressure wave would build up under the boat and then the boat would sort go over it and it would start all over again.
I put it down to improper trim, and a rough and windy day on the river.

Third time out, went to the lake, my father in law?s cottage, and wanted to try it out with 4 divers and gear. Well the motor started to act up again. It would start out fine, but as soon as I would try to go wot it would just bog down. To bad cause I could almost get to plane put not quite. After I unloaded all the gear I took for a solo run and it was still bogging down at wot. When we got back home I pulled the plugs and one had had a piece of carbon(I think) bridging the gap. The plug where also gaped to .40 instead of .30. Apparently to manual is wrong. (wich I found out by reading threads here on Iboats. This place is great.)
So hopefully next time will be more successful. I will keep you posted. I really want to get this right as we are planning a extended dive trip this summer around lake Manitoba and surrounding lakes. I don?t want to get stranded in the middle of a lake in northern Manitoba. It would take forever for some one to find you up there.

Here are some pictures of my rig.
Drying off after wash .jpgFirst time .jpgFloor Mat.jpgHere we go.jpgLoaded for scuba.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Seamax 380 Heavy Duty

Welcome to the forums,

If wanting more floor rigidity and better sib performance, get yourself a pressure gauge and re inflate all chambers & keel once boat is floting for a while to at least 3.0 psi. That sib looks much like a Mercury Quicksilver.

Happy Boating

Marqui

Cadet

Welcome to the forums,

If wanting more floor rigidity and better sib performance, get yourself a pressure gauge and re inflate all chambers & keel once boat is floting for a while to at least 3.0 psi. That sib looks much like a Mercury Quicksilver.

Happy Boating

Yes. I got one of these pumps when I bought the boat
Pump_80DB_02_700.jpg

They work great, I can inflate the boat in about 15 minutes. I don't know how accuratu the gauge on these pumps are however. I had toped it up before launching the second time but must admit that I did not check it once it was in the water. It was still early spring and the water was still pretty cold at the time so I'm sure that it wasn't at max pressure. Has any one ever tested what the pressure drop is when you put your boat in cold water (10-15c)?

Marqui.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If you infalte sib to 3.0 psi on shore and place inmediately on cold water, after a while will probably lose about 0.5 psi, varies depending how cold is water and boating environment. That's why is good to perform a re inflation after a while sib rests on water. Is that the inflator that has a internal rechargeable bat ? Once reached top psi, are you losing excesive inflated pressure on tubes when you remove pump hose bayonet from air valves or while doing re inflation procedures ?

Happy Boating

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pressure is often the case of most issues. Weight distribution or trim comes in a strong second.

Where do you store your anchor and fuel tank? I honestly can't find them in the picture? LOL I take it no depth finder or other electronics? Do you use tag lines for clipping off your gear?

attachment.php

Marqui

Cadet

Hi Sea Rider.

Yes, that is the one with the internal battery. I got that one because I wanted to be able to do top ups on the shore where there is no other source of power. The battery is good for about 3 full inflations on a charge. I don't think I lose much pressure when I remove the bayonet, the valve seems to seal quickly.

Peter_C

The anchor is there under the bow bag and if you look closely you can see the gas tank under the yellow fin at the back. You can see a little bit of orange with a grey line on top.

That's right no electronics, other than a handheld GPS. If you look on the D rings on the sides you can see a bunch of bungees whith spring clips on them. 8 of them 4 three footers and 4 two footers. Use them to clip our gear too when we get back in the boat. Got the at Dollarama for $2.00 each, could not pass them up.

I know this is a bit excessive, but it is the worst-case scenario. Most times, we will be three or two divers, as it’s getting harder to get everybody out at the same time. Still nice to know that it can be done.

I'm still hoping to be able to get the boat on a plane when loaded that way, once I get the engine running right. I just ordered one of those little tachs so I can check wot RPMs (hopefully will get it by this weekend). From there will probably get another prop. It has a 9 1/4X11 will probably go for a 9X9. That may give it more of a chance.

Marqui.

Marqui

Cadet

Well just confirmed that this poor little outboard is running on only one cylinder. No wonder she was sluggish. I guess it's off to the Johson/evinrude thread to see what we can do about it.