New purchase - low compression 50 psi on all 4 cylinders of 1978 470 engine

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New purchase - low compression 50 psi on all 4 cylinders of 1978 470 engine

Yes, TDC was ensured by first rolling the crankshaft until pressure was generated on the respective cylinder and the a plastic rod was inserted into the plug hole. When rod reached apex, I rocked it back and forth to find TDC . Did I do this wrong?

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The thread above was interesting and reinforced the earlier point made where it might be worth running it for a few minutes and re-test. I will certainly do so.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, TDC was ensured by first rolling the crankshaft until pressure was generated on the respective cylinder and the a plastic rod was inserted into the plug hole. When rod reached apex, I rocked it back and forth to find TDC . Did I do this wrong?

Just make sure the cylinder you're working on is on a compression stroke and both valves are closed when you get that piston to TDC.

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Spent much of Saturday working on the boat. I disassembled the starter and cleaned the rotor/stator. Covered in debris and rust. Reassembled and was surprised at the amount of additional torque gained. Poured a bit of oil in each cylinder and then a bit of fuel down the carb. Got it to sputter a couple of times, but never ran on its own. Batter was exhausted and starter got hot so I quit.

Suggestions?

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're on the right track it seems. Charge up the battery and carry on. You don't have anything to lose really.
If you stay with it, it might come around and run for a few years, you never know.

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Poured ATF fluid in each cylinder and over down the oil filler (valve cover). Let it sit for a day and then cranked on it. Got it to stumble a bit but never got up to idle speed. Starter is getting VERY hot and don't want to push it. Noticed that the block temperature makes a huge difference on combustion so I borrowed a block heater and going to keep the oil pan warm over night.

I took the opportunity to bypass the fuel/water filter and pull gas directly from a jug to determine if the FP was bad. Fuel flowed with each crank.

Suggestions are welcome as always!

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're going to have to figure out why it won't start within several cranks. If you have to crank on it more than 10 seconds to get it to light, something else is going on.
You might want to check the points and ignition timing. Or it could be in the carburetor, there are so many variables that you're just going to have to make sure the low compression isn't the only problem.
You also need to make sure the spark plugs aren't getting fouled with all of the ATF that's in the cylinders.

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Needs some further assistance on the distributor.....Instead of condensor/points, it has what looks like a Hall Effect sensor. Not at all familiar with it and can't seem to decide on its correct orientation in terms of timing/TDC. In the picture, I have cylinder 1 at TDC and have marked the position of the distributor button. Of the four orientations, where should the metal plate be aligned with respect to the distributor button for correct firing. I have tried all four positions without success.
distro1.jpg

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you go to this link Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years! then go to the Mercruiser manual #3 on page 237 you will find all the info you are looking for.

Not exactly, he has an aftermarket points system conversion. It's not in any Mercruiser manual. Pertronix, Sierra, and other sell the conversion. Not sure how you tell them apart, or how you troubleshoot them.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not exactly, he has an aftermarket points system conversion. It's not in any Mercruiser manual. Pertronix, Sierra, and other sell the conversion. Not sure how you tell them apart, or how you troubleshoot them.

Either way, the procedure will be exactly the same except for setting the points.

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tinerguy, please believe me when I say that I gave it my best before asking from the forum. I spent some time with the Manual #3 before posting my request earlier. As Don pointed out, there are no "points" on my distro. It has a single EM sensor (orange color in photo above) and I am unsure as to which of the four positions this would go. I took a close look at the distro shaft to see if there was a magnetic at the closest point of contact with the EM sensor and could not see anything. Kinda baffled and hoped that someone with a similar setup or experience would chime in.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Number 1 wire should be marked on the distributor cap.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tinerguy, please believe me when I say that I gave it my best before asking from the forum. I spent some time with the Manual #3 before posting my request earlier. As Don pointed out, there are no "points" on my distro. It has a single EM sensor (orange color in photo above) and I am unsure as to which of the four positions this would go. I took a close look at the distro shaft to see if there was a magnetic at the closest point of contact with the EM sensor and could not see anything. Kinda baffled and hoped that someone with a similar setup or experience would chime in.

I understand what you are saying and please don't think I was trying to ridicule you because I wasn't.

From the info you found, it looks like you can use the merc manual as a base. It says up to 30 degrees before or after TDC, well that's pretty much how a points distributor would go.
Since the link still doesn't answer your primary question of what position, I think it would be safe to assume that whatever the merc manual says still goes. Basically #1 is #1, regardless, just as I stated before. Points or electronic, it makes no difference. The only thing that matters is that the rotor is in the right place at the right time.

Anyway, from the pic you posted and what is in the merc manual, it looks like you are spot on. If it's still not running, then there may be problems elsewhere. Checking the coil resistance per the guide might be a good idea and make sure #1 is on a compression stroke and not an exhaust stroke.

So, if you have the rotor pointing to the #1 position on the distributor cap (as close as you can eyeball it anyway), with #1 cylinder on a compression stroke, and the thing is wired correctly, you should get something from it when you crank it. Be it a backfire, sputter or pop, something should happen.

It's hard to track these gremlins down sometimes, I'm doing my best to help.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Where are you in Virginia.....if close by I may be able to help.

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cumberland, VA. Locality just west of Powhatan.