New project potential?

brenz566

Recruit
Would a 1960 Larson be a good project boat? It seems suprisingly solid. I haven't figured out why they moved the steering wheel to the left.

Attachments

• 00v0v_EHi6F0uQIM_50x50c.jpg
    00v0v_EHi6F0uQIM_50x50c.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 0
  • 00202_h8vWx9cqxFb_50x50c.jpg
    00202_h8vWx9cqxFb_50x50c.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New project potential?

Any boat can be a good project candidate. Some aren't worth the time or money. So it really depends on what you want to invest, both in money and time. BTW - your pics are too small to see any detail.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Based on the info provided.... I have no idea if it's a GOOD project..... It IS pretty much guaranteed to BE a project..... need MUCH more info and MUCH better pics if you want a better answer.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many boats from that time period had left hand steering. Right hand steering wasn't really the standard it is today. The throttle/gear shift boxes were even ambidextrous back then. I took a Simplex unit off of a right hand steer boat, took it all apart and flip flopped the cables for my left hand boat.

As far as being a "good" project or not, maybe. We need more info and photos to get an idea of just how "solid" the boat (and motor) really is.

Here's a link to my old boat project: http://forums.iboats.com/completed-boat-projects/sea-king-project-complete-469777.html

This will give you an idea of what's involved in a restoration.

Last edited:

Would a 1960 Larson be a good project boat? .....

That's up to you. If it's a boat you really really really like and plan on keeping and enjoying for many years then it could be a good project. If it doesn't meet that criteria then don't even consider it because you'll end up sinking way more money into it than you'll ever be able to sell it for.

Then start thinking about what kind of work you're comfortable doing. If it will need the deck, stringers, and transom replaced are you decent with general carpentry and fiberglass? If it's going to need to be painted is that something you can do a good job at? Most project boats need to be re-wired, is that something you're comfortable with? etc. etc.