new project boat

mosins

Cadet
I came across a boston whaler but all i know about it is it has 1953 on the title. Its a very light aluminum so im thinking its rated for a 9.9 maybe a 15hp but thats streching it. Im thinking about painting it it has about 30 years of tree sap and no seats.(other than the three metal seats that run across the boat) The bottom has some dents and its rivited. Thinking of putting in a wood floor and center console to get rid of the tiller drive setup. What would yall do to it?

D

DJ

Re: new project boat

Mosins,<br /><br />I do not think it is a Boston Whaler. They didn't make aluminum.<br /><br />Do whatever you want to it. That's the beauty of a project baot.

mosins

Cadet

well the tag on the back of the boat near where the motor goes, It states it as a boston whaler 1953 and the length. It says the same on the title i got for the boat so ill go by that.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I kinda agree with djohns, they didnt put hull id#s on till the seventys.

Summer Fun

Banned

so what are you saying :confused: he doesn't know what he's got :eek:maybe it was a proto type of that year you'll never know

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

In addition, Boston Whaler didn't start making boats until 1958! So if it says 1953 - couldn't happen.<br /><br />So far 2 things tell you it is not a Boston Whaler.<br /><br />Year of manufacture is 5 years before BW started making boats, and BW didn't make aluminum boats. They were known for their unique process of foam filled hulls.<br /><br />I have a Boston Whaler 13'.<br /><br />go to www.continuouswave.com/whaler<br /><br />Here you will find out all kind of info on Boston Whalers.<br /><br />I do agree with the other posts. If you like the boat, do what you want to it to make it satisfy your needs. Doesn't matter what brand it is. There are some die-hard Boston Whaler finatics out there that would shoot me for my BW being turned into a Center Console! But is suits my needs, not theirs!

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like a collectors item to me! Maybe they made a few boats before they incorporated? Maybe he has the :D mold for making the first glass ones? :p

Crupi

Seaman

nope if it was a mold it wouldnt have seats and all in it :eek:0

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before "Boston Whaler" the term Boston whaler was a common generic term and another boat company could have had the name first. Who knows, maybe somewhere back there the name was liked and bought out.....Anyway keep the namplate and title in tact and maybe you have a valuable item. At least you have a cool conversation piece!