new pontoon, floor repair question

vintage_car

Seaman Apprentice
I have just bought a pontoon, the floor is 2 years old, was marine grade plywood, but there is a place that looks to have become delaminated. From the top it is a bit soft. Is there a way to patch this from the underside, reseal what is left on that floor? looking for a repair on a budget! I will be putting the boat in a slip.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: new pontoon, floor repair question

Post a pic of your problem for the best help/advice.

... to me, it sounds like the decking wasn't sealed before the finish was applied (I'm guessing carpet)... and it probably isn't sealed on the underside either. Marine grade plywood is good stuff, but it isn't rot proof.

vintage_car

Seaman Apprentice

yes it is carpet. I will have to get the pic in the morning. Dark out...

vintage_car

Seaman Apprentice

picture of the area I would like to patch repair
boat01.jpg
General picture of the floor
boat02.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

From the "Green" appearance, I would guess it's Pressure treated plywood. IF it's good and dry you could mix some thickened epoxy and trowel it into and over the damaged area for a quick and water proof patch. A heat gun would help ensure it was dry. Woodcraft has epxoy syringes if you want to try to inject some regular epoxy between the laminates and shoot some small pin nails in to it.

vintage_car

Seaman Apprentice

The iphone seems to have made it look greener than it actually is. This plywood has more of a tan hue (almost untreated plywood) look to it. Where would I buy the epoxy from - any specific brand?
thanks

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can buy epoxy online here:

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

The 635 medium is what most of us use. Use a $1 chip brush to apply it.

See if you can find a stamp on that plywood and tell us what it says. Using ASQ pressure treated plywood on aluminum is bad news because it will eat/corrode the aluminum, a lot of people don't know this and have made a mistake they regret later.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure where you live but any type of laminating epoxy resin will work. Since the wood is gouged a bit, I would still recommend getting some Cabosil filler for it to thicken it into a paste and apply with a plastic putty knife to fill the void. But that's just me.

vintage_car

Seaman Apprentice

I will look for a stamp, I don't remember seeing anything. the previous owner said the floor was replace a couple years ago, and I do not see any aluminum rotting yet.
What about Wood flour? or would the cabosil work better for this patch?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can mix regular ol' talcum powder with the epoxy resin to thicken it up, most people don't use it on their boats because of the the weight... but for the little bit you need I don't think an ounce or 2 will make a difference.

vintage_car

Seaman Apprentice

sorry for the delay on response- work has had me out of town and I have not been under the boat. I just crawled around under it, and do not see any stamps anywhere on wood. I did see some areas that looked to have knots in the plywood and they were filled with some sort of wood filler. I use epoxy with hardener for fiberglass work on car projects. I get it at auto parts store, will that sort of epoxy work for this small patch on the wood?