New owner

Packard8

Seaman
Hi Folks,

Just bought an 18' Starcraft, Model 18 SUS O/B, S/N STR3120CM75C-F. I would appreciate any info re year, model name etc. Looks to have been converted by Bubba and Cooter to a center console config. Usual rotten floors, but I think the transom is OK, will know more after tear out.

Thanks,

John

North Beach

Commander
Re: New owner

This may not be an altered boat Packard. In 66 Starcraft began offering the Sportsman, an open fishing boat. Here's the brochure sheet. Over the next at least 10 years they offered many different open fishing models such as the Off Shore, Kingfisher, and Mariner in different lengths and layouts. Please post a couple interior pics and maybe I can figure it out for you.
66 Sportsman.jpg

Packard8

Seaman

Thanks NB,

Photos attached. The bare paint forward of the data plate and 1/3 of a windscreen (plus the somewhat crude console) suggests to me a conversion. Do you now what the numbers on the data plate refer to?

I'm guessing 140 is the max HP, and perhaps the 1200 & 1800 are the empty and loaded weight? Does the tag on the stern tell you when the boat was made and do the 2 extra short chines indicate the "V5" hull I see in the brochures?

Thanks for your help!

John

North Beach

Commander

Thanks NB,

Photos attached. The bare paint forward of the data plate and 1/3 of a windscreen (plus the somewhat crude console) suggests to me a conversion. Do you now what the numbers on the data plate refer to?

I'm guessing 140 is the max HP, and perhaps the 1200 & 1800 are the empty and loaded weight? Does the tag on the stern tell you when the boat was made and do the 2 extra short chines indicate the "V5" hull I see in the brochures?

Thanks for your help!

John

John You're correct on the meaning of the numbers on the data plate. and now that we've seen the inside and top I'm comfortable saying this boat is a 1975 18' Supersport. The color is Leaf Gold. I guess Billy Bob and Bubba have been busy?

No that's not a V5 hull.

Here's the only brochure stuff I have for 75. It's a small foldout.

75 cheiftain express .jpg

Packard8

Seaman

Thanks for the info and brochure.

Yes; Cooter, Billy Bob and Bubba all collaborated on the Agro American Engineering upgrades.

Did you determine the year by the hull tag number and is there a site to "decode" the numbers? Also what identifies the V-5 hull?...... one of the brochures shows the regular hull with 2 chines/fins at the outside of the bottom and the V-5 as having 2 additional fins inboard of the ones on the sides. This boat has 4, with the inboard ones about 1/2 the length of the outside ones.

Cheers,

John

North Beach

Commander

Thanks for the info and brochure.

Yes; Cooter, Billy Bob and Bubba all collaborated on the Agro American Engineering upgrades.

Did you determine the year by the hull tag number and is there a site to "decode" the numbers? Also what identifies the V-5 hull?...... one of the brochures shows the regular hull with 2 chines/fins at the outside of the bottom and the V-5 as having 2 additional fins inboard of the ones on the sides. This boat has 4, with the inboard ones about 1/2 the length of the outside ones.

Cheers,

John

John, sometimes the year is included in the serial number. That plus each model (there are some exceptions in the smaller runabouts) came in one color choice each year. That leaf Gold is kinda different and the only year it showed up on the SS was the 75.

Here's a pic I stole of DJ's boat. I drew a line to the second full length chine that gives his boat away as the V5 hull.

DJs Boat.jpg