New Orleans Evacuation Plan

KaGee

Admiral
Re: New Orleans Evacuation Plan

Heard this morning that NO had only 3 boats in their emergency/PD/FD departments. Only 3!<br /><br />According to FOx only 1 was operational prior Katrina. Guess that's FEMA's fault too. :rolleyes:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

And according to news reports, the NO emergency command center was at a level that was flooded. Even a redneck like me knows you don't store your drygoods in a ditch, your pfd in the crowsnest, or your liferaft in the engine room.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

all have valid points. here we know if you stay expect no help from any local, state or federals for at least 72 hours after the winds go below 45MPH.we also suspend the sale of alcoholic beverages at the declaration of evacuation.many had thought as the storm trailed off the bullet had been dodged, no one thought about checking the levee, not that anything could have been done. they do the same storm preps all over I think. always the equipment seems to be in a flood zone or a zone that is inacesssible after the incident. the crazy town fathers here tried to move the fire station from the village side which has never flooded to the beach side that will flood with a good nor'easter. talk about crazy. it is like when the yankee comes in pretty weather and buys a beach house then complains when the first nor'easter wipes the pilings out from under it. or the yankee on vacation that says on CNN or the weather channel cameras that they are staying cause its their first hurricane. then, if they survive, they complain about sleeping in a tree and everything is washed away and no one came to help. <br /> however for decades various corps of engineers studies have shown this would happen. in fact most were fearful of it on the night of the 27th.more on the 28th and by early on the 29th most knew they would not hold. the lake was topping the levee with flood waters due from the north. now bush has been on TV saying this was Unfiorseeable when his own homeland/fema team warned him of it several years ago and again on the 27th. let the backpedaling begen:). where is lance armstrong when ya really need some pointers on backpeddaling?<br /> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Mandatory_Evacuation_declared_in_New_Orleans <br /> this is from the day prior to landfall. also the day Bush and Nagin both declared a disaster area and Brown, head of FEMA stated they would be in as soon as the storm passed.<br /> same as the busses. if Nagin or anyone had designatted any joe butro off the street as a driver the liability and responsibility for all refugees would have been on the officials. same reason the cops cuff you before stuffing you. its cause they have the responsibility for your safety as well as theirs once your under their control. no one knows if any attempot to find qualified buss drivers was made. takes more than the ability to reach the pedals to drive a bus authorized by the city or feds or any other civil branch. heck it takes a license to drive a forklift any more. but I still find it rather unexcusable that that many empty busses are sitting in a flooded parking lot. but thats the nice thing about this one, everthing everyone said and did in the days prior and preceeding monday aug 29th is well archived and documented. lets see where which truth leads.

Ralph 123

Captain

This is interesting, if true:<br /><br />
The Washington Post reported on Sunday that Bush administration officials were blaming state and local authorities for the disaster response problems. The newspaper said the administration was rebuffed in an effort to take control of police and National Guard units reporting to Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco, a Democrat. <br /><br />

D

DJ

jtexas,<br /><br />The MAYOR of N.O. had a thousand buses at his disposal. Granted, not luxury buses, but air conditioned and roadworthy. Probably NOT worthy of the "royalty" living within the city.<br /><br />The MAYOR, IGNORED that opportunity. He chose to let them get flooded and ROT, at our expense. A real leader-NOT.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

An excellant article on the deficiences in NO.<br /><br /> WI Digest <br /><br />The question the media has yet to ask Nagin is what did he goddam do to prevent more than 360 city transit buses from being flooded and why didn't he use them to evacuate the poor before they were flooded. Nagin is to blame for not evacuating the city, not Bush or the federal government. The question the media has yet to ask Nagin is what did he goddam do to prevent more than 360 city transit buses from being flooded and why didn't he use them to evacuate the poor before they were flooded. Nagin is to blame for not evacuating the city, not Bush or the federal government.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I heard him say it was unacceptable which he clarified to mean the rampant lawlessness.
pretty interesting spin...here's what The White House itself had to say:
<br />'"A lot of people are working hard to help those who have been affected, and I want to thank the people for their efforts. The results are not acceptable.'-- President George W. Bush<br />September 2, 2005
Are you that much better tuned in to what the President "meant to say."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> jtexas,<br /><br />The MAYOR of N.O. had a thousand buses at his disposal. Granted, not luxury buses, but air conditioned and roadworthy. Probably NOT worthy of the "royalty" living within the city.<br /><br />The MAYOR, IGNORED that opportunity. He chose to let them get flooded and ROT, at our expense. A real leader-NOT.
I couldn't agree more...if I typed something that made you think otherwise, I apologize & will try to do a better job of articulating my meaning.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

DJ, I might almost buy the "no qualified driver" excuse if the Mayor was down there in the floodwaters now, handing out tickets to everyone that didn't have a pfd.<br /><br />All those buses had qualified drivers the day before, the public buses most likely had 3 drivers per bus, to cover all the work hours. Certainly some of them must have been available.<br /><br />There is no excuse for those buses to be unused.<br />None.<br />All the press was talking about for several days was that many people had no car to evacuate.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Driver rules can be suspended. I'm licensed to drive anything except a skool bus. Just think of the field day trial lawyers would have if a person "unqualified" got in an accident while trying to rescue people. Makes me wonder about being a good samaritain in the future. I'd also have to ck wit my union boss to make sure I'm not rescuing a Repub.

Ralph 123

Captain

OK, JT, go pull your tape from the speech he made where he talked about Trent's house and listen to it. It was in response to a reporters question. as I recall. She asked what he found unacceptable. Then watch the news and it will be clear to you. You should know by now I don't say things I can't back up.<br /><br />besides my friend, that is not what you'd call an apology as you incorrectly characterized it to be. That is an expression of dissatisfaction.<br /><br />Here, let me help you:<br />Apology <br />An acknowledgment expressing regret or asking pardon for a fault or offense<br /><br />ac·cept·a·ble <br />Worthy of being accepted. <br />Adequate to satisfy a need, requirement, or standard; satisfactory<br /><br />And, then there's this:<br />
his weekly radio address to put responsibility for the failure on lower levels of government. The magnitude of the crisis "has created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities," he said. "The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they need, especially in New Orleans. And that is unacceptable."

KaGee

Admiral

First Rule of Politics..... KaGee 101:<br /><br />"Be first and loudest to take credit when things go right. Be first and loudest to blame any failings on somebody else."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ralph, I owe you an apology; I'm sorry for mischaracterizing Bush's statement as an apology, and for doing it in such a hateful way. I really had hoped he would step up to the plate.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I guess that gov.Blanco just ruined Hillery Clintons chance of being President!!! When a woman can't run a state, how can a woman run the country???? ;) :cool:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yep, Ralph I did miss that; thanks for pointing me in the right direction. <br />
<br />In today's Washington Post:...Late last week...Bush lost patience with local officials when he learned that thousands of people were sent to the New Orleans convention center for relief only to learn their was no assistance for victims there, the aide said, calling this the "tipping point." Bush infuriated Blanco and other local officials when he sought late Friday night to federalize the relief effort and seize control of National Guard and other operations. The governor refused....<br />[two paragraphs later]<br />...Landrieu, echoing the concerns of others, said that "it's mind-boggling to everyone in Louisiana, including myself, why the president did not send forces earlier." <br />
Typical Louisiana politics, makes you want to just scratch your head & order another frozen daquiri.<br /><br />I just wish Bush had gone in there & thrown his weight around two-three days earlier.

Ralph 123

Captain

I am glad to see people have their priorities straight in NO:<br /><br />
Amid the tragedy, about two dozen people gathered in the French Quarter for the Decadence Parade, an annual Labor Day gay celebration. Matt Menold, 23, a street musician wearing a sombrero and a guitar slung over his back, said: It's New Orleans, man. We're going to celebrate.'' <br />
http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=101130&format=&page=2

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thought everybody was to clear out unless in an emergency capacity. What relief did the "Steers and *****s" provide? Maybe Geraldo Riveria covered it. Tape at 10

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

There was no city, state or federal evacuation plan in the days leading up to the storms arrival, provisions of shelter and evacuation was an afterthought :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wildbill<br /> by mandatory evac in my area means anyone not a property owner can be forced to evac. time wont permit a door to door search to determine who owns and who rents. they will force hotel guests and rental cottage guests to leave.<br /><br /> usually a deputy or a local cop will stop by and ask me to leave. usually I invite them in for coffee and show them what I have. I also tell them that I monitor VHF channels 16 and 82. <br /><br />but its something we have done here for years and years.<br /><br /> I will explain that my immediate area does not flood and why. I also show them my first aide training,swiftwater rescue training and high angle rescue training as well as some of my emergency gear.<br /> this year I am a bit shy on some of it. my fault. I gave a lot of it away after Isabelle and some more last week got sent south. hope I get around to replacing it before I get caught short.<br /> someone this week is going to get a Stihl saw with a note attached.<br /> the note reads take care of her she cut me out of Isabelle.<br /> Brady outdoor is slicking it back and installing a new chain before we load it on the truck thats heading that way wednesday.<br /> means I gotta buy another cause I sent my old homelite to AL last week.<br /> now I have no saws.<br /><br /> Ralph<br /> hurricane parties are not a NO phenomena<br /> most the folks killed in camille were in a "hurricane proof" hotel when the surge killed over a hundred of the partiers. I lived in Pascagoula MS in 69. seems folk just never learn. something about the average attention span and historical memory of the average american seems to be about 10 min or till the next 30 sec sound bite.<br /><br /> as far as Bush goes his appointees dropped the ball as well as local officials.<br /> the Homeland bungling team, to include FEMA is run by to many people that seem to have no real experience or an inability to learn from the past. its just to large to move effectivly. same as our local officials. our mayor is a bungling fool, he also happens to be a cousin. does not obviate the fact he is not qualified to handle 4.5 sq miles in an emergency.<br /> so we pay no attention to him. if I relied on him I would most likly die.