new motor for my project

rosgood14

Seaman
I have a 1972 20' Penn Yann strait inboard and it currently has a junk 351w in it. I have been looking around and I dont know to much about the mercruiser's and other types of motors. I noticed that a lot of boats have the 4 cyliner mercruiser's in them and I am just wondering if they put out enough power to push the boat along good or what the best route for me to take is and also something thats not going to break the bank to bad. Thanks

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: new motor for my project

For a 20 foot boat I would hate anything much smaller than a 6 cylinder.Not breaking the bank could mean find a junk boat for complete repower or rebuild/ replace what you already have.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Replace with the same motor for less headaches. How is the structure of the boat??? It is 39 years old and known to rot.

rosgood14

Seaman

the boat is in good shape really the only part is a small part of the running boards thats right in front of the motor is a little rotted but the rest of them are in great shape and the hull is fiberglass and looks great for its age.

SawDust{RM}

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Replace your 351.
Do a through inspection, if its soft around the rails the motor mounts on then the whole run could be hozed

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I woud score an early 90's ford 5.0 v8 and swap on all the marine-specific goodies. Could have the whole thing swapped for a few hundred bucks if you play your cards right.

jimbo3123

Seaman Apprentice

I woud score an early 90's ford 5.0 v8 and swap on all the marine-specific goodies. Could have the whole thing swapped for a few hundred bucks if you play your cards right.

I'm pretty sure the Exhaust manifold and carburator are different from the 351 to the 302 (5.0).

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Exhaust manifold and carburetor are the same from the 351 to the 302. I thin the y pipe is different.