NEW Mercruiser 5.7 with tuliped valves after 29 hours

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
Good news, spoke with Mercruiser and a new engine is being delivered this Friday. They had no information as for the cause of failure. Looks like a good 2016 boating season I hope.
Thanks for all the replies.

alldodge

Staff member
:grouphug: :dance: :triumphant: Here is to a great next season
beer-smiley-face-on-glass.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Good news, spoke with Mercruiser and a new engine is being delivered this Friday. They had no information as for the cause of failure. Looks like a good 2016 boating season I hope.
Thanks for all the replies.

Ayuh,.... I still suggest ya do some serious fuel delivery diagnosis on the boat's side of the fuel system,.....

It Still sounds like it detonated from a lean condition,.....

NHGuy

Captain
Where do you live, we will bring our tools...gotta verify the new one is perfecto!

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up new engine Saturday and the guy had the nerve to tell me to check the torque on all the bolts! I live on Long Island.

alldodge

Staff member
What did you say back to him? I would whip out the phone recorder and say can you repeat that please

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
I was not very pleased with that statement, and the things I said cannot be posted!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'm still curious as to whether any diagnostics of the boat's fuel system has been, or is gonna be done,..??..??

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
Bondo, When I started this project the fuel tank was drained, cleaned and all new fuel lines were installed by the dealer that installed the engine. The was replaced 3 years ago.

Bondo

Staff member
The was replaced 3 years ago.

Ayuh,.... So nothin' has been checked since the tuliped valve,..??

Regardless who said what, a tuliped valve is a classic symptom of detonation,....
Most common cause of detonation in boats, is a lean condition,.....

I just don't wanta see you go out, 'n ruin another motor in under 30 hours,....

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Congrads on getting a new engine!

Couldn't agree more with Bondo. It would be a good idea to have the installing dealer, go over the fuel system, to insure there are no issues with it, at the same time the new engine is installed.

NHGuy

Captain
Get your self a perfect carb that is built for that motor. Not a 5.0 which will be too lean. Not a 7.4 which will be too rich.
And if you really want to be perfect go find a boat technician or hot rodder that can tune the air fuel ratio.
When they run lean the engine fails, and your last motor did that. So don't just bolt on the old carb to the new motor. Check that it's right.

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
The new engine comes complete new fuel system installed, Weber carb, fuel pump ,lines and fuel/water separator installed. My tank was replaced 3 years ago. When the engine was installed the dealer drained, flushed tank, installed new fuel fill hose, vent hose, and fuel hose to filter. They also changed the shut off valve/check valve and fuel sending unit. I only run premium fuel. The dealer who installed the engine said it was "tuliped" valves. I have spoke with Mercury Marine and they said they have had problems with cylinder head gaskets.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
You really want to do some tests runs at full throttle with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Checking the torque on head bolts can be really, really bad, if they are torque to yield bolts! Running them to the specified torque after they have already been torqued down once will very likely end up making your day worse, and also splitting the bolt in 2.

(and unless I'm mistaken, that engine comes with torque to yield head bolts from the factory.)

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Checking the torque on head bolts can be really, really bad, if they are torque to yield bolts! Running them to the specified torque after they have already been torqued down once will very likely end up making your day worse, and also splitting the bolt in 2.

(and unless I'm mistaken, that engine comes with torque to yield head bolts from the factory.)

Ayuh,.... I believe yer mistaken,....

Never seen torque to yield bolts in a Chevy,.... Never,.....