New member 1994 VIP Valiant with Yamaha 5.7

Kuntrykid

Cadet
Just wanted to introduce my self and my new to me boat. Found apparantly a rare unicorn. A 1994 VIP Valiant with the 5.7 Yamaha sterndrive. The boat has been heavily neglected before I got her. So far I've replaced the transom, and the motor, and most of the seats support (wood backing). I used starboard for the seats. The rest of the boat seems surprisingly strong. Is there anything I should look for specifically that would be caught by usual inspections? I've had her out all last season and I am very satisfied with her handling. I'm out at lake Texoma where the waves can get pretty gnarly and she seems to take it well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

not sure its a unicorn...... more like the abandoned ugly duckling. there is near zero parts support for the Yamaha sterndrive. hope you dont need anything (even maintenance parts)

Kuntrykid

Cadet
Thanks, I guess? She ain't that ugly though. She actually has some nice lines, and if you read my comment you would have noticed that I didn't have any problems finding any parts I needed to do a complete rebuild.