New main battery Q

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Battery failed
Replacement arrived … identical EXIDE ER550
The battery was also supplied with a vent pipe … a length of clear plastic pipe, and a soft connector at one end.
There is a spigot at top of battery side … so obvious the pipe fits onto that …. But where do you route the pipe?
The battery is in a standard plastic battery box … do I route pipe over lip of box to outside … my thought is that would negate the point of a plastic box containing any acid spill.
Or do I just stick pipe upwards in battery box .. providing a vent.

On previous battery no pipe was fitted.

Last edited:

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll fit it as per that drawing then … venting inside battery box

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll fit it as per that drawing then … venting inside battery box
Had a response from Exide .... the 'gas vent pipe; is used when there is a need to vent to outside of the battery location, and not needed in my situation.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Motorcycles and wave runners have those vent tubes. Motorcycles would vent any overflow acid onto the ground and that makes sense. Not sure what wave runners do with the acid.

I would certainly route it inside the battery box, or omit it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Had a response from Exide .... the 'gas vent pipe; is used when there is a need to vent to outside of the battery location, and not needed in my situation.
Yep...used in cars like my mom's Buick which sat under the rear seat. The vent went under the car through the floorboard.