New Key West 1520CC Owner

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New Key West 1520CC Owner

Thanks KeyWestBoater! I also love this little boat!

Hmmm... I thought I had tried getting the light into that compartment... I'll have to try that again.

I do keep plugs in the scupper holes. I have some plugs that are made for it and they work great.

psrider

Cadet

Hi.............Thought I would give you an update as to what I have done to my 1520.....and hear what others are doing to theirs. I added a hydrofoil to my 50 hp Suzuki Really comes out of the hole now seeing how I weigh about 250 and my wife weighs about 200 (she would kill me if she ever read this) and the Suzuki gets crazy MPG. I also added a Honda 2hp 20" shaft kicker. One test said the little Honda got 123.7 mpg. I will try to let you know if I can ever burn that much gas in it. LOL Hear in the north Alabama rivers there are some very shallow areas and it is just fun to cruise around in less than a foot and watch the Bald Eagles and others critters. The Honda has an automatic clutch so if it hits the bottom it doesn't seem to hurt the prop. It and my $20.00 dollar 18 ft. push pole from Home Depot gets me just about anywhere. I am 6'1 and the back of the seat made my knees to close to the center console so I made 2 Z shaped rods to move the rear seat back 2 inches. That helped me alot. I liked the idea of storing the stern light behind the seat back. what kind if brackets holds it? Any ideas how to keep the storage area under the center console and under the seat dry? Hope to hear from others soon.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi psrider,

I have the same issue with the console compartment getting wet. I tried siliconing around outside it but that doesn't completely stop it. I will try silicone on the inside if I can bend my creaky body and get my hands in there . Meanwhile I keep my stuff in a plastic container there to keep it dry. I thought of putting in a rack shelf just off the floor to keep things dry like jackets, towels, etc. I open the doors to let it air out when the boat is not in use. For the under seat compt I havent tried to keep that dry, I keep my fenders in there so it gets wet anyway.

How about some pics of your hydrofoil. Was it easy to install? I have a 70hp Yamaha that gets on plane pretty good but it would be nice to get on plane at a lower speed. Currently I get on plane around 20 mph.

Thanks for the good info! :D

DBlittle

Cadet

Hey guys,

I am in the process of dealing with a couple of boat dealers to purchase a new 1760cc. I have done some serious homework and compared as many other manufacturers to the key west as I could. One of the dealers had a video of a key west cut in half ( similar to whaler's) and still running around a lake. I had no idea that these boats had flotation all the way up to the gunnels and are totally unsinkable. Needless to say I am impressed. I am also really relieved to hear that you guys are happy with the quality of your boats. That makes me think I am on the right track.

Thanks
DB Little

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi DBlittle,

Welcome to iboats! I am very happy with my KW. I have a 1520CC and glad I went with the 70hp. Not sure what the max hp is for the 1760 but make sure you get close to it as when you're at capacity you will appreciate having the power when you need it. Fully loaded I get on plane in 3 or 4 seconds. It stays pretty dry except when it gets choppy. Of course on plane it skims right over those waves! :D I also looked at the Scout but for about the same quality I got more boat for the money. Plus I liked the seating better in the KW.

Let us know what you end up buying! And post pics of course!:)

Kevst 7

Recruit

I am on Lake Neeley Henry near Gadsden, Alabama in north central Alabama.

I live in S. Florida in West Palm Beach, but my dad lives in Gadsden, Alabama off of Lake Neeley Henry.

I was also looking at KW boats. Have any of you taken the 1520 through semi rough ocean waters? I live off the intracoastal and most of my boating is there or offshore dee sea. I was looking more at the 152CC and 176CC because of the hull design. I figured it would handle the waves better, but just curious as to your experiences. What are the highest waves you have gone through with the 1520 and how did it handle?

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kevst 7,

I have taken my 1520CC through semi-rough chop in the St. John's river and the intercoastal. It's relatively dry and on plane you can get over the waves for a good ride. I haven't planned to go out in the ocean though. I try to go out on calm days for more comfortable fishing when anchored. It's no fun going out in any boat when it's rough.:(

Concerning your comment about the 152 vs the 1520, my understanding is that both have the same hull only the interior layout being different. I like the 1520's layout better (the long seat preferred over the cooler seat).

What engine are are you considering? I am happy with the 70 hp on my 1520. I think a 50 would be underpowered.

For the ocean you might like the 176 better. I think you should test both in the conditions and then you can make a better decision. Good luck! :)

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice

I take my 1520 out in the ocean all the time... I do stay within a mile or so from shore though. I've been out in 3' rollers and with 2 guys on the boat it cruises along just fine. The really big deal is the mouth of the river I must get through (Merrimac river in Salisbury MA) and I've been through some nasty 4' chop in that mouth which was wet and somewhat unpleasant ;)

If my main goal was to fish in the ocean - especially far from shore - the 1520 would definitely not be on my short list.

Just my .02

Good luck

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice

A recent pic of my baby:

2728631099_89d44ce051_o.jpg

Big Wig

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks! We're all still waiting to see yours ;)

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, OK! I will try to post a pic tomorrow. :redface:

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, finally some pics of my KW. :D

Attachments

• My KW.jpg
    My KW.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boat01.jpg
    boat01.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0

DBlittle

Cadet

I know its been a while, but I finally broke down and bought the 176cc, the dealer was going out of business and I got it at a steal. I almost feel guilty....Not! I got it with the Yamaha 115 4-stroke and a bunch of extras. Provided Hurricane Hanna passes us by here in Florida I hope to get it wet this weekend.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

DBlittle,

Congrats on your new KW! Post some pics!:D

KWB

DBlittle

Cadet

Here are some pictures of the 176cc. I spent the weekend outfitting it and have not had a chance to hit the water. I just may have to skip work one day this week.

Attachments

• Key West boat pictures 1 web.jpg
    Key West boat pictures 1 web.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Key West boat pictures 004 web.jpg
    Key West boat pictures 004 web.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice pics! Sounds like a great reason to skip work!
:D:D:D

KWB

psrider

Cadet

Psrider,

Did you get your hydrofoil? Did it help you get on plane easier?

Can you please post some pics of your setup? (boat, dock, general area, river)?

I'm not ready to retire yet but interested in trying to find a nice little place on a river somewhere. Where you are sounds interesting.

Thanks!

Maybe these pictures will work. if they do I will send another of my Hydro-Fins

psrider

Cadet

PICTURES I HOPE
Psrider,

Did you get your hydrofoil? Did it help you get on plane easier?

Can you please post some pics of your setup? (boat, dock, general area, river)?

I'm not ready to retire yet but interested in trying to find a nice little place on a river somewhere. Where you are sounds interesting.

Thanks!