New issue cropped up on my transom/bunk position!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not exactly true especially with more modern boats. Not sure how old the OP boat is. I have a 5 year old aluminum boat without so much as a toothpick worth of wood in the construction.
I’d say that is from cranking down the straps way to tight worrying about it being super secure.
My 1992 Sylvan 16' only uses wood for floors and decking. None in the transom or for any stringers.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Looks like a FUBAR to me. I can't imagine having the tie downs so tight that would cause that problem. The bunks look proper. Is the motor way oversized? Lund is a good brand. Looks like a manufacturing defect to me, OR the rig was driven down a horrible road and the boat and trailer bounced 3 feet up and came down in a crash.

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
The boat is supposed to be FULLY supported by the centerline KEEL SUPPORTS ONLY. The outer supports should be just slightly loose under the hull.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The boat is supposed to be FULLY supported by the centerline KEEL SUPPORTS ONLY. The outer supports should be just slightly loose under the hull.
That's the way I personally set up all my boats, but that is not the norm. Today most boats come from the factory with 2 simple cheap bunks and no keel support at all. Although launching like that ain't my cup of tea, but I never saw a transom crush like that.

Expidia

Commander
Yes, the keel sits on rollers from what I can remember of the setup (boat is in my garage across the street). Straps can't tighten down that much because the next click that would make it really tight can't be reached and seated anyway.

Yes it came sitting on two cheapo bunks that one broke a few years after I bought the boat and I rebuilt both with new carpet and used a stronger wood (Cypress clear) bought from a specialty lumber yard. No issues with the bunks after that.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Every boat and trailer combo I have ever owned has needed extra support, whether more rollers, more bunks, whatever..... Can't have to much support !
My 1983 Islanders sat on a full roller trailer all of its life, many added rollers from factory and to this day, there are no dents in the hull. Added three more keel rollers to my current trailer just to make loading easier.

Expidia

Commander
Every boat and trailer combo I have ever owned has needed extra support, whether more rollers, more bunks, whatever..... Can't have to much support !
My 1983 Islanders sat on a full roller trailer all of its life, many added rollers from factory and to this day, there are no dents in the hull. Added three more keel rollers to my current trailer just to make loading easier.
I did notice the back keel roller had dropped down and I'll have to raise that one back up. But the bunks should have supported the boat. I added the two keel rollers to the self centering ones. Now I know why it's been harder to center the transom on the trailer cranking it up at the launch. I had not noticed it as it's always under water. The boat came with two standard black keel rollers. I'm on my way to a local Lund dealer to get their opinion as to the cause of the bulging lower left corner of the transom.

Attachments

• IMG_5510.jpeg
    IMG_5510.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Expidia

Commander
Update: went to a local Lund dealer today. He said those bunks are in the correct position as to where the Lund dealer originally positioned them.
He also agreed that bulge was probably caused by a whack from hitting a pot hole. Probably best to just leave it be as trying to pop it back into place may cause the seam to start leaking.

I'm taking it out tomorrow for seasons first splashdown. I'll raise that rear self centering roller while the trailer is in the parking lot which appears to have dropped down a couple of inches and the keel is not resting on it anymore. And it's also not helping to center the boat while cranking it onto the trailer in the position it's in.

I will launch on the Hudson River which Striper fishing is in full swing. Usually 100's of boats out there especially on the weekends. Here is a pic that my daughter's friend sent here a couple of days ago. And then the next day she caught another one. Almost 42 inches!

Attachments

• IMG_4824.jpeg
    IMG_4824.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have seen Hundreds of AL Boat on Bunk Trails with no Keel Benders, and very few hull problems. Those that did were usually being used as Cargo Haulers, and were loaded too darn Heavy

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have seen Hundreds of AL Boat on Bunk Trails with no Keel Benders, and very few hull problems. Those that did were usually being used as Cargo Haulers, and were loaded too darn Heavy
A big percentage of trailers are not set up properly for the boat, or the trailer is not suited for the boat it is carrying. Can't blame the rollers or bunks if not properly setup. Been hauling aluminum boats for well over 60 years, every trailer has had keel rollers, some bunk trailers, most full roller trailers, never had a roller cause damage to any aluminum hull. Setup and maintenence is everything !!

MNhunter1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are those pressure treated bunks? re: the picture in post #27

I'd replace the bunks with a wider, non-pressure treated 2x6 and adjust as needed. Damage is already done, but you'd likely weaken the material even more trying to straighten it out.

Also not sure if that corrosion hole was from the pictures of your transom or another, but if it is, that needs to be addressed asap as well.